Alcohol rx for seasickness ??

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
no, not the kind you drink....! new york times health section just had an article about a study done where people sniffed pads of rubbing alcohol when seasickness was coming on. the study claims smelling the alcohol proved as effective as some rx antinausea meds like zofran . (google NYT health seasickness , it's free to read a couple a articles then you hit a pay wall.. ...) non drinkable alcohol is about 80 cents a bottle, it might be good to keep it on board.

i ran the experiment so i know guinness is no good to prevent sea sickness (but i did not try smelling it. )

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I could believe that alcohol vapor could affect the inner ear - possibly reducing it's sensitivity to motion. I know that alcohol can affect a person's vertical stability.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rubbing alcohol is good for cleaning counter tops. It removes grease and oil and sterilizes. Much safer than harsh chemicals and bleach. It probably works well for sterilizing decks, in case it fails in mal de mare prevention.

Here's a link to the article: A Cure for Nausea? Try Sniffing Alcohol - The New York Times It doesn't specifically address sea sickness, just nausea in general. I'd volunteer to try it, but I don't get sea sick....

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
...... Much safer than harsh chemicals and bleach.....
What!?

All alcohols are toxic! It just so happens that the liver can break down ONE particular alcohol

But add a second "-OH" group and you get radiator fluid which will kill you for sure....

Ethlyene Glcycol

Or simply chop off one carbon and you have wood alcohol which will make you go blind

CH3-OH

Or add a carbon and move the "-OH" group to the middle and you have rubbing alcohol... which I assure you is as harsh as bleach if ingested.

upload_2018-3-15_9-37-43.png

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
All alcohols are toxic!
:plus::plus:
One pint of your favorite Bourbon, poured into a unapproved landfill will result in an EPA fine.
That is also the lethal dose to the average humanoid.
But...
Luckily the humanoid will dispose of it faster by...:puke:

That is why a good Bourbon is called...

Sipping Whisky

This dose is slow and over a longer time.
_____
I had a Master Licensed Captain tell a story about his sea sick Deckhand, in 8 foot seas...
"Lean over the side and get ride of it and in about 30 minutes you will be ok."

Perhaps drink a half pint of cheap bourbon, is faster and the recovery more pleasant.:pimp:

Jim...

PS: Perhaps a Brandy sniffer would work too.

Jan 11, 2014
Or add a carbon and move the "-OH" group to the middle and you have rubbing alcohol... which I assure you is as harsh as bleach if ingested.
Of course alcohol of the wrong type and/or quantity is lethal, I wasn't talking about ingesting it. Just letting the critters growing on the counter imbibe enough to meet an early demise.

Isopropyl alcohol will do just as good, if not better job of cleaning up cooking oils and grease and disinfecting as popular cleaning products such as Chlorox Cleanup with out a host of surfactants, defoamers, bleaches, fragrances, and what not.

And when used to clean up the consequences of sea sickness the vapors will apparently help to quell nausea.

Jan 11, 2014
What!?

All alcohols are toxic! It just so happens that the liver can break down ONE particular alcohol

But add a second "-OH" group and you get radiator fluid which will kill you for sure....

Ethlyene Glcycol

Or simply chop off one carbon and you have wood alcohol which will make you go blind

CH3-OH

View attachment 147649
Oh... the nightmare of Professor Monroe and Organic Chemistry! :yikes::confused::yikes::confused::confused::confused: Haunting memories from nearly a half century ago.:yikes:

Jan 11, 2014
Sorry
I have a few raw buttons I guess.

I also get started when I see something advertises as “chemical free”
While linear algebra and organic chemistry cut short my career as a chemist, with different professors the outcome might have been different.

At some other time we can bemoan the decline of science and STEM education over the past half century and its implications in our world. Of course if we all committed to living in a "chemical free" world it would be quite spiritual.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I also get started when I see something advertises as “chemical free”
You want chemical free? Meditate! However, dopamine is a chemical. You just make it instead of take it.

I was always fond of the phrase, "artificial chemicals"

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You want chemical free? Meditate! However, dopamine is a chemical. You just make it instead of take it.

I was always fond of the phrase, "artificial chemicals"

- Will (Dragonfly)
Hahaha...

When the term "organic" first started being used.... it drove me crazy. I'm used to it now... but I still remember the first time I saw "organic" salt. I just about fainted.

My latest jag happened the other day when I saw a Quaker Oats box labeled as gluten free. It was also $0.30 more. THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! BTW: For those of you who don't know much about gluten, it is a protein found in modern WHEAT strains.

Jan 11, 2014
My latest jag happened the other day when I saw a Quaker Oats box labeled as gluten free. It was also $0.30 more. THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! BTW: For those of you who don't know much about gluten, it is a protein found in modern WHEAT strains.
Well, it is gluten free, so it must be good for you.

Jan 11, 2014
but I still remember the first time I saw "organic" salt.
Well, we can dry out sea water to get salt.

Or we can mine old dried salt water seas.

Or we can mix together some hydrochloric acid with calcium and manufacture salt.

Which one is organic?

JxG5fn2.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Well, we can dry out sea water to get salt.

Or we can mine old dried salt water seas.

Or we can mix together some hydrochloric acid with calcium and manufacture salt.

Which one is organic?

View attachment 147667
The mined salt. There was more left behind than just salt when that old sea dried up. Fish poop had to go somewhere.

- Will (Dragonfly)