Air in fuel hose new installation

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
Been replacing a motor in my H37C and a new 500 Racor filter, too.

The engine finally run well for an hour after I got all the air out of the system. This took a lot of trial and error.
The next day the fuel line had air in it again ( pretty big bubble of air) and I couldn't get it to run without priming again...
What might I be doing wrong???

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
RB. You did not do anything wrong, you just do not have a sealed system. There is a small air leak somewhere in the system. You just need to go over all the connections.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
First time I opened up my fuel system it took forever to bleed ( over twice a filter change). Got it going but next day had to bleed it all over again. Read 100's of posts on what could be wrong. Next time up to the boat ---- starts up no problems from then on out. Remember third time is a charm.

Les

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
prime suspect (ok, small pun) here would be the copper crush washers on the suction side of the lift pump.. if you didn't replace with new ones or did not anneal the old ones, they tend to have very small leaks that cause loss of prime after sitting.. but suspect all new connections and the filter lid gasket..Not an easy one to find.. happy hunting

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
OK, I will check it all very closely!
Questions- does the throttle have to be pulled back into STOP after each use?

Is there enough vacumn on the fuel system to keep fuel from backing into the fuel tank when not running?

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Questions- does the throttle have to be pulled back into STOP after each use?

Is there enough vacumn on the fuel system to keep fuel from backing into the fuel tank when not running?
Topic was covered in a recent thread -- per the link below.

For the QM series engines as outfitted by Hunter in the late 70's / early 80's the answer is yes. Pull back the throttle to the hard stop. This totally cuts off fuel to the engine. It will cease running after a few seconds. Hold the throttle back for a few more just to be sure the engine is stopped. No need to do anything else. Fuel will stay in the lines. Next time, move the throttle forward a bit and just start the engine ... (after opening the seawater seacock ...).

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/bracket-woes-stopping-the-engine.184755/