air conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David R. Atkinson

I'm interested in installing central air on my 1988 catalina 36. Would like to know location,ductwork and a good brand. My e-mail is ddheeler@aol.com

A

Art Golden

I just a refit with a new unit on my '93 36'. I went with a reverse cycle, CruiseAir 16k BTU system. In my boat. I have a U-shaped dinette so the unit was installed below the foreward seat, located against the bulkhead common with the head. We have it vented to the V-berth, Head, Salon, Galley and Aft Cabin. What I learned was that in order to maximize the cooling power of the unit, you need to move the maximum amount of air through the system. Therefore, we increased the size of the vent and vent opening in the salon in oder to meet this need. We also installed a digital monitor with 2 fan speeds. So far, we have been very pleased with the system. Of course, its still a boat without insallation, so on very hot days like we have been having here on the Chesepeake, it can only cool so much. But at least it does remove the humidity. Beacuse this was a refit, my total cost was $2,250 installed. Hope this helps!

D

Dale Borts

Air Cond

I installed a reverse cycle Mermaid unit about 10yrs. ago. It is a 12,500 cool and 15,000 heat. The unit was located in the locker above the drawer stack across from the head.(I have a 1984 model)The unit was top discharge and i made a plenum to alow for distribution of ductwork. There is a four inch duct into the fore cabin, a duct through the cabinet door 4" and two ducts above the starboard shelf (the shelf was sacrificed), and a teak plywood panel was placed there to hide the ductwork. I used the existing through hull for the sink drain as a water intake and used the original head water intake for the drain. I put in an addl. 30 amp service and use a Y spliter at dockside. The unit will drop the Temp 20 degrees and reduces the humidity dramatically. I did not put a duct into the aft cabin but put in a small 12 volt fan to assist with circulation, The duct outlets are plastic swivel types which allow you to rotate them down toward the floor for heat and up toward the cabin top when on cool cycle. The unit I have is analog but the new units are digital controled. Since the unit has worked flawlessly for over 10 yrs. I woluld recomend it. I fyou have other questions I can be reached a t 937 279 0659.

Status
Not open for further replies.