Air Conditioner Location for an O'Day 34/35

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
I'm ready to install a unit in Karma. Would like to install the unit in the starboard storage area under the settee in front of the fresh water tank. Can only find installs in the starboard hanging locker across from the head. There's plenty of room there for the unit, however i am resisting giving up the space. Planing on a 16K btu unit. We sail in the Chesapeake Bay area.

Scott

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I would love to do the same thing. 16 BTU's seems to be the right size for our boats. When I redid the bottom, I put in an intake for the unit just forward of the starboard water tank. I don't think the space is big enough under the starboard settee when you consider the 4 inch air discharge hose. I think we will need to give up half of the hanging locker. Do you think there would be enough room under the port side close to the bulkhead for the head?

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
I'm planning on re-purposing the thru hull for the galley raw water intake. Glad to hear your concurrence on a 16K BTU capacity unit. I've been studying the MarinAire MSBA16 placement in the starboard settee and I think that it will fit. I've got a few more measurements to take prior to committing though. You bring up a good point concerning the discharge duct. I'm anticipating a 6" duct to penetrate the starboard bulkhead into the hanging locker with a Y transition to split the duct to an outlet in the v-berth and one in the saloon. I'll check the port side that you suggest to see how that would work as well. My fresh water pump and valves are located there so haven't considered that.

Oct 7, 2008
Let me know how you make out. When I was researching it previously, I found that Stainless Steel parts were important, especially for the drip tray. I think they have a tendency to rust out. Do you think 4 inch ducts will work? If you went on the port side you may be able to get an outlet into the head. That became an important issue on a friend's boat when his wife was doing her hair. It is a fully enclosed head however so it may not be an issue. My freshwater pump is on the bulk head in the cockpit lazzarett. I have an extra seawater intake on this side from when I converted the head to fresh water. Looking forward to hearing how you make out. Maybe I'll move mine up on the priority list. I would have had more time on the boat this summer if I had it.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Sounds like a plan. Would be great if you can fit it all under the settee however most have to use the bottom of the hanging locker. My raw water intake is under the forward end of the port settee and I would use that for the ac water intake if I ever add ac. 16000 btu should be perfect.
bty: anymore ODay sailors on the bay? Maybe we can start a fleet and have a raft up.

Oct 7, 2008
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe midbay in the fall? Why don't you start a new thread on it.

Nov 6, 2013
ODay 34fl pompano beach
I took out a very old 1600 from under the starboard settee and replaced it with a 1400. the manufacture told me 1400 was fine and it totally has been. She cools down like a champ, but I did install in hanging locker only out of ease. I did not want to open up the side of the settee for an intake vent. I hate cutting holes if I can avoid it.
14,000 Btu/h Self Contained Marine Air conditioner and Heat pump 110-120V/60Hz

Model #: MSBA14K2
Power: 110-120V/60Hz
Refrigerant: R410A
Capacity: 14,000 Btuh
Type: Self Contained
Function: Air Conditioner & Heat Pump
Warranty: 1 Year

List Price: $2,107.00
Online Price: $1,475.00

You save $632.00!

Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for the info. .Do you have any pictures? How did you avoid any cutting for the intake with the unit in the hanging locker?

Nov 6, 2013
ODay 34fl pompano beach
my locker has louvered doors, I set it on the shelf not all the way to the floor of the locker. I lost my locker, but don't cruise far and can do without. I can take pics and show tomorrow night. It is a great unit and the Honda 2000 runs her on the economy setting

Sep 23, 2009
and the Honda 2000 runs her on the economy setting
Thank you, that was going to be my next question. Do you run power to the boat via the shore power connection or with a plug to an outlet?

Nov 6, 2013
ODay 34fl pompano beach
The unit and pump are hardwired in so they power off shore 30Amp or the gen set, which I plug my 30amp cord directly from the boat to the gen set instead of the shore while anchored. The unit drains to my bilge, which they suggest against, but that is kind of standard CYA stuff. They don't want to say their unit sank your boat if your bilge pump goes out. But, it would have to run a long time to do that. I have a vent going to the Vbirth and one to the main cabin. I bought an after market vent hose splitter and hooked into existing vents from my old unit.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
I tool a mockup of the same unit to see if it would fit under the starboard settee. Good thing I checked. It would fit, except it's about an inch too tall. Bummer.

Raj, I tried putting the mockup in the space under the port settee. Even less room because the unit would go athwart shipwhich raises the height even more, picture attached.
IMG_2809.JPG

Thanks for the picts Gatr, Looks like the hanging locker is the place... and 14K BTU is the size. Figure if it works for you in FL that ought to be good enough. Having the ability to run off the EU 2000 is a real plus. I was thinking that the louvered doors of the locker plus perhaps putting a grill in the top of the locker would suffice for a return. Also, from the picts, it looks like they provide a removable filter on the return side.

Nov 6, 2013
ODay 34fl pompano beach
The inch is the deal breaker. The unit has a hoisting ring that may be your inch. It is removable. I have had no issues with the luvored door alone as the return and it does come with the filter. Also pressure gauges and pre charged. Good luck. Let me know if you need more pics.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Jibes, that's the raw water intake for the head. I'm planning to use the raw water thru hull for the galley faucet however it's 1/2". If that doesn't provide enough flow for the AC I'll use this one instead and perhaps convert the head to fresh water.

Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for the pics Gat. It puts it in perspective. With the vent, it looks like it takes up the entire locker.
Jibes, thanks for the moc up. These clears up the possibility of using these lockers. I agree that this unit is probably the best for our boats.