Ahhh, this sailboat is just right

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Goldie Locks was out exploring the possibilities of the boating world one day when she came upon the marina district of Woodsville. It was a cute little revitalized old port neighborhood called Hidden Harbour. Hidden Harbour was filled with a collection of quaint cottage industries, restaurants advertising home made porridge, chair makers, and a mattress warehouse. There were also three yacht clubs that Ms. Locks decided to try and sneak into, just to see if it would be worth her applying for membership to;).
The first YC GL came across was the Hoity Toity Yacht Club (HTYC). It was very large and filled with mega yachts, members in blue blazers, white slacks, and sockless leather deck shoes. Goldie easily snuck in by acting like she belonged and everyone else were just people she had to put up with.
The bar was quiet and a maitre d' asked GL if she would like a table on the lanai, out by the pool, or in the formal dining room. GL was impressed, but she wanted to try their members free boats out. You know, just to see if it was worth her becoming a member:wink:.
It was odd, but there wasn't really much going on down on the dock. There were plenty of boats and lots of members around, but no actual boating going on. Goldie Locks decided she would have to take matters into her own hands and started talking to some of the younger wives. There weren't many young people at all and it appeared as though she was the only single woman.
Ms. Locks managed to con a couple into inviting her and some of their friends out for a trip around the bay. Lucky she brought her bikini.
The trip was a desaster, one woman's husband insisted on driving, that he was the only one with actual maritime experience. He then proceeded to show-off how cool he was for GL.

It was horrible. This was not for her at all. Too incompetent, too noisy and too smelly.
After stopping at the Woodsville, Hidden Harbor Urgent Care Clinic for a quick MRI of her head, she decided the Captain's Chair Sculling Club might be more her speed. Afterall, there was a considerable amount of beefcake walking around there.
Goldie flirted her way past the front lobby and into the main club house. Where to next, the gym? Nah, the hot tub? Maybe, but she really wanted to see the boats. As soon as she walked out to the boat shed, there was a collection of about 16 muscully men in tiny shorts and tank tops getting a couple of shells ready for a row.
They spotted her and all called her over. The hard part was there were actually two crews and each wanted her to be the caller. Goldie Locks only weighed in at 102 lbs, you see.
They wanted her to sit where:eek:? Oh! Spelled with an 'X'.
GL picked a team and become her team's coxswain. This would be fun.
As it turned out, there was a lot more to being the team coxswain than just shouting "STROKE, STROKE, STROKE". With eight strong young men, Goldie Locks could get to like rowing, but...

How do you steer?
Ok, the actual boating was a disaster, but the MEN!
when they got back to shore, Ms. Locks tried to smile and make a little flirtatious eye contact with some of her burly crew members. No takers. They just seemed to pair up with each other and head off to the locker room. It was the couple at the end who kissed just before disappearing through the club doors that enlightens GL.
"Damn! What a shame." She muttered to herself and went to try the last yacht club.
The HC Anderson Yacht Club was a sailing club. They were of modest size and while everyone there was appropriately dressed, dress was casual. GL could appreciate that. She certainly fit in better than at the HTYC. Now to catch a ride on a boat.
What beautiful boats?! The curves, the masts all softly singing in the wind. Goldie just had to find her way onto one and try it out.
No problem, there was a convenient bar at the club where a notice for crew was posted. There was something called a "beer can race" going on.
After talking with a couple of potential captains, she elected not to jump aboard a race boat. The friendly captain then introduced her to his friend who was just going out for a sail to watch the race and could use an extra hand to tend the jib sheet. Great!
Goldie Locks went for a sail. It was peaceful, gentle waves, friendly mariners, all the elements of boating that appealed to her. Even the captain was good looking.

Goldie was discovered, but the club didn't really mind since she ended up actually becoming a member.
THE END.

the moral to this tale is, the perfect boat, for me, is the one I'm on, as long as it's a sailboat.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Yea real romantic dancing on the boat...... no wonder why I have so many bloodied and blacken toe nails..... just when winter ends they all look normal again, then comes launch date and bare feet on the boat!
I love the pain!!

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
23' Lovely, O'Day... but you can't stand upright.
I just traded up, switching out my Oday 23 for a Catalina 28. Standing up in the Oday wasn't an issue for me; we used the boat as a daysailer, overnighting on her only twice in the twenty years we owned her. The Oday was just right for me for a good, long while: a challenge as my first "big" boat, and eventually a nice, easy way to enjoy the (very) local area. No problems taking the boat out by myself.

But I wanted to get back to having a challenge, and I have set my sights on doing some actual cruising; local cruising to be sure, but still getting out and staying overnight or even a few days. The Oday is really too small for that. The Catalina is just right for me now: an exciting learning experience, a better, faster and more stable sailer than the Oday, a true albeit small cruising boat.