Ah The Fever Is Building

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Post the following article in another thread, but thought here would be a better place with its own thread. Just letting some know that I can feel the fever beginning to build and it is a good one.

Tentative plans for this coming season are slowly beginning to shape up. As mentioned in another post Caterina (three going on four) and her older brother Brady (six going on seven) want to come up from Texas and go sailing on Grandpa's boat, Belle-Vie, again. Well, Caterina needs to get a passport (Brady already has one from a prior cruise) for starters. Given that their dad has about two weeks, I thought it would be best to rendezvous at False Creek in Vancouver B.C. to save on sail time. That way I could spend a few days getting up there ahead of time and wait for their arrival. The admiral can drive them to the rendezvous point and from there do a tour of capilano river park among their preferences while here. Now he is talking about flying into Vancouver rather than SeaTac (ugh).

We wanted to sail to Nanaimo a few years ago, but did not make it due to a time constraint, which was before Caterina. Now that she will hopefully have a passport we can head for some points north; Smuggler Cove, Secret Cove, then over to Nanaimo. Maybe even a stop on the way in Boho Bay on Lasqueti Island for some oysters, yum. If it's around July 1 we can spend a day at the Lasqueti Art Festival, always a hoot. After Nanaimo we can wiggle our way south to the Gulf and San Juan Islands. Lots of places they have not been before; Annette Inlet, Clam Bay, Silva Bay, Wallace Island, Pirates Cove, etc.

After they leave for Texas I suppose I could catch up with AMEE flotilla who will be heading for the Broughtons, the latest plan update. Shaping up to be a busy season with lots of sail time on the agenda. Can't wait; feel the feeeeeeever!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You have it. You have it bad. And I feel it is contagious.
I have been going stir crazy here with the cold and the winter snow. Then yesterday it changed. The weather warmed to 50. The snow melted and the green grass returned. Can not wait to get on the road and up to the boat. Next 2 weeks look promising.
The Catalina group is planning their rendezvous in Roche Harbor. I asked and have been invited to join them. Looking forward to the experience. Plan to wrap a couple of days around the weekend activity and visit the surrounding San Juan anchorages, perhaps even get to Victoria.
It is a start and I cannot wait.

Dec 25, 2000
Cool. The Catalina group coming from different areas around here? Warmed up here, too. Tired of the low 20s temps every day and night. No snow, just cold. Hope the weather holds for you.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Got a bit of a head start on the season this week. Brought the new ( to us ) boat down from Oyster River ( near Campbell River ) to Saturna Island. Good shake down and very little to do before the cruising season gets started. Life is GoooooD.

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Michael, life is very good. Been by Saturna a number of times but have yet to stop. Have you moved to the island, or just a way point for the boat? What cruising plans do you have for this year?

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
I moved to Saturna 3 years ago full time. Great place! About 300 full time residents ( more in the summer ) The island is 47% national park so it shouldn't get too crowded. This years plan is to visit the Khutzeymateem sanctuary ( about as far north as you can get and still be in Canada ) and hopefully return by the west coast of Vancouver Island. Plan to leave here in mid April and return mid Sept.
July 1 is a great time to visit Saturna for the world famous Lamb BBQ.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Michael, if you draw a line from southern shore of Digby Pt over to the southern pt of Church Bay, my grandfather used to own that land out to the reef. This was in late sixties/early 70s. Have great summer memories. Some 25 yrs ago, i took the boat into Veruna Bay where the "farmhouse" is and started talking to the owner. He stated that I had to know the local knowledge on how to get in which I did. There are other reefs that go out. I told him my story and he invited me to tie up and invited me to lunch and a tour of the rebuilt farmhouse. Afterwards, I inquired about the church on the Church Bay and he told me it had been totally rebuilt and invited me to go down and visit. That visit was a real highlight of that cruise..

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Mark
I know you get why I enjoy it so much here. It's a great place! Bev and I have 3 acres just about 400 yards up the road from the ferry dock. We often walk/bicycle in the Winter Cove/Church Bay area.

Dec 25, 2000
July 1 is a great time to visit Saturna for the world famous Lamb BBQ.
Now you have my interests peaked. No reference to any marinas or docks. Your recommendations for anchoring out; north end or south? Both Lyall Harbor and Narvaez Bay look like nice anchorages. Either within walking distance to where the BBQ will be held? I see lots of what look to be private docks and a string of boats in the small bay to the left of Lyall Harbor either at anchor or on a mooring.

I'l be out cruising with my oldest son and his family. July 1 might work out to attend the Lamb BBQ. Usually we stop by Lasqueti Island for the Art Festival around that time, but a fresh venue may be in order.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Lyall Harbour and Narvaez Bay are indeed good anchorages. Boot Cove can get windy in a S.E. blow. If you come to the BBQ you want to anchor in Winter Cove. They have a big dinghy dock there and it's just a short walk to the ball park from there. They usually do 25 to 30 lambs around an open fire. For more info. see Saturnalambbarbeque.com. It has photos, history, what to do etc.
I always came a day early as Winter Cove can get pretty full on a good year especially if July 1 is on a weekend.
Don't know where you clear customs normally but if you have nexus I think you can still clear by phone at Cabbage Island or Horton Bay .

Dec 25, 2000
Thanks Michael. Great info. No NEXUS here, waste of money, IMHO. Usually clear by phone at either Bedwell or Whiterock. Which is Winter cove? Is it the one west of Lyall with the entrance right next to Trevor Islet?

Do you plan on attending the lamb BBQ this year? So regardless, it is always on July 1 (Canada Day)?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Winter Cove is to the North East of Lyall Harbour, between Saturna and Samuel. If you clear at White Rock you can enter through Boat Passage or Georgeson Passage. Goergeson is easier if you haven't done Boat before. Otherwise from Plumper Sound.
We will be away up North for the BBQ this year, and , yes, always on July 1

Jan 5, 2017
You could anchor in Lyall Harbour and take your dinghy around too. Holding is better there but weather is usually good in July.

Dec 25, 2000
You could anchor in Lyall Harbour and take your dinghy around too. Holding is better there but weather is usually good in July.
Hi Michael, thanks again. I see that little slot by Winter Point as a way into Winter Cove, passable? Been through Plumper Sound a number of times and also Port Browning where a friend lives.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Certainly passable- I've taken many boats through there ( biggest was a Cooper 416 ) Lots of water. If you haven't done it before I would recommend using the other entrance first. Then take a walk out to Winter point when the tide is flooding. The current shows the channel very clearly, about 25 feet depth.

Dec 25, 2000
Thanks Michael, is it just you and Bev heading north or do you have a flotilla? We did Princess Royal Island in 2015, our furtherest north was Bay of Plenty.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Bev and I will be on our own though it's possible some friends will decide to join us. We do have plans for some friends to fly up and be with us for a week or so at a time.
Khutzeymateem is just North around the corner from Rupert. We would like to get there early enough to see the grizzly bear cubs this spring then wander slowly south and do the west coast too. Nice to be retired and have time for all this!!!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Michael has a very valid pt about transiting Boat Pass. Clear at Bedwell and go up Plumper Sd. I've seen numerous boats having issues going through the pass. One 36' powerboat rolling and pitchpoling coming in from the strait. The current runs through fast with narrow transit windows. I've never seen a reason for doing it. And it's a dog leg course. We use Nexus and the last few yrs, Canadian Customs have not required us to report to a designated station.