After five years, my 9.2A is out of the water. Now what?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
A Mopar guy!! Had a few late sixties Belevederes with slant six/318/383 that I rebuilt. Woul love get my hands on a Challenger or Charger to go through. The boat's "done".........thread hijacked....

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Okay. Enough gear head chatter; I'm taking back control of this! I've got a bunch of updates to post, which will come once I can locate the relevant photos. The boat is finally coming back together, after about seven months on the hard. Right now I need help reassembling the boom. I'd taken it home to clean all the bee and birds nests out of it, and to drill and tap the gooseneck for bigger bolts. Now I can't figure out how to put it all back together. Does anyone have a sketch of how the various lines should be run? I do have the factory specs on line size and length, but that's about it. The internal pulley arrangement on the outhaul is the biggest question mark. I also need a source for the 1" diameter white plastic pulley/sheave on the gooseneck. One is split and the other isn't much better.

John

Attachments

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
OK John, no more car stuff...check with Rig-Rite for the sheave. If you have this on both sides, they're most likely for reef lines. The line in pix should go between sheave and jam cleat. Maybe you routed the line for pic purposes.....

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Thanks, Mark. I'll try Rig Rite. The photos were of the bits just tossed on the bench; I'd not yet made any effort to make sense of them (I noticed afterwards that they're at the wrong ends of the boom). I did just find five photos I'd taken as I disassembled things. Those should help a bit in getting it back together. I think I'll need to replace the internal block for the outhaul, as well as the sheaves on the gooseneck. I'll see if Rig Rite has that, too.

John

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Here are a couple of pics of the new shaft log. This was obviously done by a pro and is NOT my handiwork! He found some broken fiberglass back in this area, indicating the poor boat had been run aground pretty hard at some point (I swear I've only run into mud). My brother's been sanding the bottom and he's found signs of significant repair to the bow. I guess that should make me feel a bit better about my occasional docking scrapes and soft groundings.

Right now, in addition to the boom reassembly, I'm struggling with getting the fuel tank strapped down. I bought some rubber strap insulators that are thicker than the original, rubbery tape stuff, and I may have to find some longer, square u bolts.

At this point, everything aft of the flywheel (in the drive train) is new.

Attachments

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Rig-Rite does have the gooseneck sheaves. 1 inch diameter, 3/8ths inch center, 1/2 inch width. Made of Delrin (their part #K-11726 s4). $26 each, as of 10/18/16.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Rig-Rite does have the gooseneck sheaves. 1 inch diameter, 3/8ths inch center, 1/2 inch width. Made of Delrin (their part #K-11726 s4). $26 each, as of 10/18/16.
That's really expensive for those simple delrin sheaves... I'm sure you could find the same sheave dimensions in a stock Ronstan or other brand sheave. I can't find anything that is a direct match to those dimensions, but FYI, these could work;
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rope-pulleys/=14nk9ei

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Thanks. I checked McMaster but didn't see anything really workable. In boat buck terms, it's only a nickel!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Thanks. I checked McMaster but didn't see anything really workable. In boat buck terms, it's only a nickel!
I meant to give you the link directly to the product I was hinting at... Click on the 'machine to size nylon' pulleys... They have 1 inch dia x 1/2" wide, you just have to drill out the center pilot hole to 3/8". There is a Schaffer delrin sheave that is very close, but not an exact match. At the end of the day, delrin is way better than nylon (UV exposure), so I guess $28 to have the exact match isn't that bad.