After deck drains

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
This past winter the port deck drain broke on the side of the deck that collects runoff. It created a real mess in the cabin. The deck drain looks like it is 2 1/8 inches diameter on the top with a 1/2 inch hose barb. It seems like most replacement parts only offer 1 1/2 inch hose barbs. Anyone know of any sources for a replacement drain?

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Scuppers.jpg You're referring to the scuppers?
I replaced both (actually all 4 while I was at it, so I didn't have to worry about them) with these straight mushroom head through-hulls: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--marelon-mushroom-heads-barbed--P011_332_002_513 and sealed them with marine silicone. In place of the corrugated plastic hose I used sections of water line: (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shie...reinforced-clear-pvc-tubing--P011_333_001_014).
I did not use the elbow type for the bottom one through the hull in order to eliminate the kink, I was able to cut the water line off short enough to get a curve that is less likely to clog up.
seedling.jpg There was a seedling growing in it at one point.
Sorry I don't have any "after" photos, I'll try and get one, but I'm not sure when I'll get over there.

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
Thanks for this info. Looks like I also had mistyped the barb size in my original post.

Jan 24, 2009
I don't remember that these were specialty parts like some of the other things I go to replace on the boat.

Jan 24, 2009
Sorry, I was wrong, I did use the 90 deg. through hulls for the bottom ones. Hopefully you didn't order anything yet. :eek: Probably had it in my head that I wanted to use the straight ones, but when I test fitted everything, I found that I couldn't get the hose to attach without kinking, so I made a trip back to WM and got the 90 deg. ones. Using the waterline enabled me to eliminate the kink from the original set up, and it's smoother than the corrugated hose and doesn't clog like the old one.
I had to go check the lines with the storm coming, so I grabbed some quick photos, L-R is 2 views of the the port scupper and the last one is the stbd. one in the locker.
H27PortScupper-1.jpg H27PortScupper-2.jpg H27StbdScupper-1.jpg
Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
Sailor Dan, I was already in my typically confused state, so you don't ever need to apologize for anything :) Seriously, I appreciate the info and the photos Here is a dumb question for ya: On your setup, it looks like the scupper barb and the existing through-hull barb are different sizes? Is that the case? My hose looks like it takes a 1 inch barb on both ends. I've temporarily rigged a watertight plug for the through-deck hole until I can get my hands on the the right setup. So I've got some breathing room now at least (it did rain last evening). The saga continues...

Jan 24, 2009
No, everything is 1" inside diameter (ID). Must be a trick of the camera lens.
As a temporary plug over the winter I had used one if those rubber row boat drain plugs until it got warm enough to actually fix it. I was also tempted to glass everything in, but I figured the scupper was there for a reason.

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
It looks to me like the downward slope of the deck toward the stern kind of levels out where the scupper is located. That's my guess!

sailnc

Sep 6, 2014
Hunter 37C New Bern, NC
I like the idea of using smooth hose instead of the corrugated stuff! Mine aren't leaking...yet! I think I have some of that reinforced hose on hand so would be an easy project. (Famous last words...!)

Aside: why does anyone design decks that require a drain passing through the boat interior like this? Just asking for trouble, seems to me..

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
I have similar ones on my 36, damn things plug up all the time. I'm thinking about enlarging them

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I have the same issue with those deck drains plugging from time to time. Larger plumbing is on the to-do list. I may also implement a feature I saw on a H37C in Maryland - put in a 3-way valve to allow filling the water tanks from the scuppers when it rains.

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
I like the idea of using smooth hose instead of the corrugated stuff! Mine aren't leaking...yet! I think I have some of that reinforced hose on hand so would be an easy project. (Famous last words...!)

Aside: why does anyone design decks that require a drain passing through the boat interior like this? Just asking for trouble, seems to me..
I agree that it does ask for trouble. In my situation, I have been thinking about the possible cause to why the drain broke in the first place. It was not deteriorated in any way. But here is what I think happened: I store some bulky items, including dinghy and kayak oars on that aft berth shelf below the drain. I simply could have banged one of the oars against it at some point. The mushroom head is fairly thin plastic and that could have cracked when the drain was struck with an oar (or anything else I've put there). Lesson learned may simply be more careful storing bulky items on that shelf. And, yes, reinforced hose could be considered overkill for a deck drain. But in this case, overkill is good! I actually had looked at some metal drains, but went ahead with a plastic replacement. I'll just be more careful and vigilant now. You don't want to have happen what happened in my boat's cabin this past winter -- the infiltration of runoff water and organic debris. It created a real mess in the cabin.

Jan 24, 2009
Good thought, I slide my whisker pole back there, never thought about accidentally bumping the fittings and breaking them.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Our Cherubini Hunters are 34 to 43 years old. Nylon scuppers and through hull fittings become brittle with UV exposure and those corrugated plastic hoses get brittle with age even down in a dark bilge. These fitting and hoses, if original, are well past their life expectancy.

I've been thinking about replacing my deck scuppers soon. No leaks so far that I have noticed, but when one component goes, I'll replace the whole assembly; scupper, hose, and through-hull. In fact, I may as well just put it on the "to do list" now and deal with it pre-emptively.

Digressing slightly here..... I have already eliminated or replaced all the other nylon through-hulls on the boat. The nylon lavatory sink drain through hull fitting at the waterline was replaced with a bronze seacock, and a nylon bilge pump discharge through hull that I had decided to relocate because it was behind the electric panel (WTF?) was so brittle that it literally sheered off in my hand when I tried to pull the hose off. So if you have nylon through-hulls, especially at or near the waterline, best to get rid of them.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009
"may as well just put it on the "to do list" now and deal with it"
I keep putting stuff on my to-do list and it just keeps getting longer. Never even thought about those other through hulls <sigh>

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
I never thought much about them either and that's good advice from Dalliance. Until I reach that second happiest day in my life, I'll be gradually cycling out the older through-hulls. Now, where did I put that "to-do" list?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I hear ya about the "to do list". Mine never gets shorter. No matter how many projects I complete and cross off.
When I get to the deck scuppers, I will definitely use the smooth hose; not the corrugated. Less likely to collect debris and just sturdier IMO.