Aft shower not draining

May 18, 2017
Hunter 44 Changes
I have cleaned the sump pump regularly and used a strainer over the drain to catch hair. Yet after years of use the shower is not draining even though the sump pump is completely operational. Is there a safe chemical or way to clean the clog I assume from soap buildup? Any idea how to clear it? Thank you.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Try a zip it drain cleaner-a long flat plastic rod with barbs. It will pull all the nasty stuff that's in the pipes. They are about $2 anywhere.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
After years of use it may be time to replace the hose. A plunger may help for a while, but when the 3/4" or ½" hose is closer to 1/4", it isn't going to drain well.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I just take the dock hose with great water pressure, remove the drain cap in the shower, and blast away with the hose. Cleans it out for me.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
This has worked for me over the years and quite effective at removing gunk from a slow draining shower. With the sump pump off I let enough water into the sump until the drain port from the shower is well covered. This should also leave some water in the shower pan and drain hose, enough for the plunger to do its work.

With a firm arm and hand grip on the plunger handle, I agitate as hard as I can up and down several times on the shower drain to break loose the hose gunk. I do this maybe in four or five repeated sessions until the drain again flows freely. I'm always amazed at how much stuff (wads of hair, soap residue, cadavers, etc.) comes up.

No harsh chemicals needed. Just a strong arm.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Assuming you have a pre-pump strainer, pull the hose off the strainer input and attach a hose directly to a bucket of water. If the water will not pump you have one of two problems - a pump diaphragm gone bad, or a fouled thru-hull. If the water does pump your sump pick-up hose is clogged.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Assuming you have a pre-pump strainer, pull the hose off the strainer input and attach a hose directly to a bucket of water. If the water will not pump you have one of two problems - a pump diaphragm gone bad, or a fouled thru-hull. If the water does pump your sump pick-up hose is clogged.
:plus::plus:
However I read the OP's trouble was the last part.
If it is Shower Deck drain to sump "box" is not draining, then it is a clogged drain hose.
Based on that assumption...
1) Disconnect that drain hose at the Sump box inlet. [easy on my H430]
2) Rod backwards to the Shower drain with this
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cobra-3-8-in-x-25-ft-Music-Wire-Drain-Auger/50236521
Really nice for on boat use on all drain lines and Head to hold tank lines..
And/Or...
3) Attach this to the hose and shore water pressure, remove the shower deck floor drain, makes sure the Head is ready for a "crap" blow back, and blow out backwards.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Yardsmith-Yardsmith-Metal-Water-Jet-with-Shut-Off/50328295

This should unclog a drain hose without chemicals.

Jim...

May 18, 2017
Hunter 44 Changes
Jim, it is the deck drain to sump pump box.

Thank you, all, for your very helpful ideas and insight. I will definitely give the suggestions a try. Usually, Hunter does a great job giving you access to hoses, wires, batteries, etc.. But, this hose is not easy to reach for removal. Lots of great recommendations. Thanks, again.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Jim, it is the deck drain to sump pump box.

Thank you, all, for your very helpful ideas and insight. I will definitely give the suggestions a try. Usually, Hunter does a great job giving you access to hoses, wires, batteries, etc.. But, this hose is not easy to reach for removal. Lots of great recommendations. Thanks, again.
If you can get it off easily on one end, sew the new hose to that end and pull it through.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
2) Rod backwards to the Shower drain with this
You don't have to remove the hose with that very small flex snake.
Even if the "snake" doesn't completely clean out the hose, what you find on the snake's exterior will give you a clue on how to slowly chemically dissolve it.

Normally it is grease like "crap".
If it is this stuff and you have even a trickle, there are several chemicals that can slowly dissolve it away.

Boiling hot water, with Baking soda would be a start;)
Jim...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
deck drain to sump pump box.
Do you mean from the shower sump to the through hull? Our sump pump discharges to a through hull just about the waterline. Never had a problem there, but will become clogged between the shower drain and the sump.

I would do what Jim suggests. Disconnect the hose from the sump pump and use a city water source to clear the hose. That is what worked for me to clear our holding tank vent hose/scupper. Just make sure you have fittings clamped to avoid any blowback while dislodging the plug.