Aft Cabin or V-Berth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I was reading one of the posts in regards to someone asking about a Catalina 250 and the reply somone put in there about an older Cataina 25. This post made me think and it raises an interesting question. Do you prefer an aft cabin or the V-Berth? Why? I have been thinking about this and I have decided that I prefer the V-Berth. The reason is that I spend most of my time at ancor and I don't have an air conditioner. This means that ventilation is paramount and the best ventilation is in the front of the boat (It usually sits head to wind with wind blowing into the front hatch, right onto the V-Berth. Everything in a boat is a trade-off. At one time I really wanted a boat with a nice aft cabin because it is a straight bed but now I realize that because it gets warm here in the summer and I need the ventilation of the V-Berth. If I was staying on a boat with AC and I was staying at docks I could see the merits of having the big aft cabin. The biggest pain of the V-Berth is that you have to get use to it. My wife will kick me in her sleep for the first couple nights when we stay on the boat because of the way the V-Berth narrows at the foot. The better temperatures of the V-Berth is definately a distinct advantage for what I use the boat for.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I rather like my Vee berth for me it is plenty

long because I am short. If I stretch I can touch the anchor rode locker with my feet as my hands touch the bulkhead. I converted on of my quarter berths to the galley and ice box and the other to a pantry and the back half of the cockpit was modified as a lazeratte and quarter deck and propane locker.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Depends on the boat, Bad Obs

Many boats have horrible V berths that narrow too much forward. We bought our C34 for the aft cabin, but found that our boat has the BIGGEST V berths I've ever seen, even on much larger boats. So we moved from the back to the front. A friend with the same boat prefers the aft cabin since his daughter and her friend use the V berth and he has the heater duct designed to blow right on his feet in the aft cabin! :) Our C25 had a poor V berth so I used the quarterberth. With a standard V berth there's always the "get out of it" syndrome. But most aft cabins require someone to go over someone to get out at night anyway. You're right, it's a trade-off.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
My Lancer 27PS has an aft cabin...

And no V-berth. My preference is no berth forward. If I had one it would probably be used for storage or guests. The layout of my 27 is very roomy for a boat this size, which is actually 26' 9". I am very happy with the aft cabin; queen size and I can cuddle very easily. I don't like quarter berths either. Now as I look into upgrading, my eye (now) is on the C34. An enclosed aft cabin is much better. It too has a v up forward and like I said, guest or storage.

May 5, 2006
Knutson K-35 Yawl Bellingham
Ya know, I see those island berths in the new floating

condos and the first thing that comes to mind is "What're ya gonna do in a rough seaway?" Big berths are great on the hook and for a marina queen but I'll take my pilot berth at sea and my 81" V-berth on the hook so I can hear any anchor noises.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
You are right Stu

My uncle has a 1988 Catalina 34. It has a huge V-Berth. My Catalina 30 has a very descent V-Berth also and it is fine for my wife and myself. The Quarter Berth on the Catalina 30 is sometimes the coffin berth or, in my case, the trunk. It has a low ceiling and the person sleeping on the port side of the berth has to contend with the rudder box that drops down even further (ankle breaker if you ask me). I have never tried to convert the Dinette to a bed and sleep on it. It is a nice sized bed but I had my fun making a bed everyday when I was in the Police Academy. I really like the design idea of some of the newer yachts that places the owner's cabin up front. It just seems to be more praticle if you are staying on the hook a lot.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
We have a C250

One of the things I like about it is the large aft berth. But, you are right that ventilation is important. Some C250 owners have added opening ports to the aft area. These ports are in the cockpit. We plan to do the same so that we can get in some fresh air. Here in the PNW the heat isn't such an issue as other places, though. On our last cruise the Admiral slept in the aft berth and I slept in the V-berth. She kicked me out of the aft berth because I snored! :)

Nov 12, 2006
Catalina 36 Bainbridge Island
Aft or Vee

We have a C36 (early version). It has a good sized V berth, and a queen sized berth in the aft cabin that can be used in either direction, however across with heads to port, and feet to starboard is best due to head room. The berth is the same in the aft cabin on both the original, and the Mark II. The Mark II added an extension to the aft cabin to allow privacy, and stand up room that intruded into the nav station. We have tried both, and prefer the V up front, and on those rare warm nights the ventilation is nice.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Weight Distribution

I have the option of V-berth, port settee or the honkin big queen size aft berth in my MacGregor 26M. We have always chose the aft berth not only for the roominess it provides but also because it is probably a good 2' lower in the flatter aft section of the hull than the V-berth which provides a lower center of gravity while on the hook. Our combined weight spread out flat on the aft berth acts more like additional ballast and keeps the boat steadier if it gets choppy. Conversely the V-berth is right up at the bow at the narrowest pivot point and would likely make the boat much more prone to rocking back and forth in a chop which is why it is relegated to storage. I would only chose the V-berth if my only other option were that quarter coffin berth. Each to their own though.

NickS2

Dec 1, 2007
- - Waxahachie,TX
Aft Cabin

My wife and I have the S2 9.2C with the aft cabin and when I'm at the boat by myself I prefer the aft cabin. When the ole battle axe comes down to the boat, she prefers the v-berth. She has a good reason though, if one of us needs to get up to take a squirt in the middle of the night one has to crawl over the other in the aft cabin.

Feb 17, 2006
NickS2 said...

... ole battle axe! ;D Thanks for not calling her "the Admiral". That is so... well, I'm expecting people to say "lovey dovey" from Gilligan's Island. LOL Every time I hear someone say "the Admiral", I see them wearing an ascot and their noses sticking up in the air, and talking like Thurston Howel III. :)

Sep 6, 2007
Catalina 320 Gulfport, Fl
Aft Birth

We have a C 320 adn I'm 6'4" I can stretch out in the v birth..just barely.:( I like the room in the aft birth and with the port lites and the hatch open, and cover over the companion way, we have enough ventalation to be quite comfortable.*zzz

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
V-berth & Admiral Attitude

The best berths on our '77 h27 are the two benches in the main cabin. Good width and length. But we much prefer to sleep together, and love the ventilation and ride in the V-berth. So that is where we sleep! We sort out our feet, and there is great room for our shoulders/reading, etc. When we can no longer do the 180 degree maneuver required to get into the v-berth, it will be time for a new boat! The Admiral is serious business on Lady Lillie. I'm the skipper, and call the shots on how we sail. But I need to always remember the priority for Joanne's preferences, and concerns. Some P.O. left a bronz placard in the companionway that reads like, "My husband is the Captain, but I have been promoted to Admiral." Joanne adopted it with enthusiasm the first day we sailed on Lady Lillie, and there was no getting out of it. Honestly, I think it's one of the reasons she loves to spend time on the boat, and urges me to get away on week-ends. When I see all of our sailing "couples" that consist of a guy sailing alone because of a reluctant mate, I'm glad this Captain has an Admiral! The "lovey dovey" stuff has more to do with the v-berth... David Lady Lillie

Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
didn't see this one posted yet

Aft berth while docked, aft berth while underway (has bed on either side), v-berth on the hook (so you can hear the anchor drag (sometimes..depends on conditions), and in rough weather at anchor, aft cabin...much smoother.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Aft Cabin for me

Having a center cockpit ODay the aft cabin has a nice bed but I spend most nights either outside in the cockpit under the stars or in the main salon on the couch cause the little one (4 year old Elizabeth) decides that she's sleeping with mom and thats the way its been since she was born, last summer she finally got used to sleeping in the V berth by herself and I got to sleep with my wife a few nights. Once at anchor I slept in the vberth and found it a pain getting out in a hurry when the anchor alarm went off, the aft cabin companion way is aft of the cockpit so I'm much closer to the GPS if I have to get up.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
V-Birth

I like to be able to stand up. Plenty of room at the shoulders... feet keep warm with a little rubbing. Rich

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Not snooty

I never thought of "Admiral" as snooty. For me it represents the real chain of command! :) If I called her the "Ole battle axe" she would kick my ass into next week!

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Main cabin

I don't like V berths or aft cabins. I prefer one of the berths in the main cabin.

B

Bob V

It's all about division of authority

My wife is the Admiral and has most of the control about the places we go especially if she determines that it is time we visited a marina instead of dropping the hook, she gets involved in pre-trip planning by finding out things like when the art fair is in Ganges, etc. But when it comes to how we get there, well that's up to the Captain. Anything having to do with operating the boat, choosing best routes, time of day, evaluating weather or what day to cross the big straits she doesn't get a vote. If things are getting dicey she follows orders without question. I remember just one time when she started to question my decision in an emergency. I won't get into the details but when she yelled at that the dinghy was drifting out to see from the cove where our anchor dragged. I told her "screw the dinghy, let's save the boat." We did get the dinghy back after we finished job #1. It is not about being snooty, it's about being involved. Bob V

Feb 17, 2006
As Father Francis J. Mulcahy would say...

A little jocularity, ha ha. (Re: my Admiral comment)

Status
Not open for further replies.