AED onboard?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Having just replaced the pads on my clubs AED I wonder if anyone keeps one onboard. They cost about a grand new and require battery and pad replacement for about $100 each every 5 or more years depending on brand.
But they are so easy to use. Ma and Pa Kettle would have 90% chance of success in the first minute of a cardiac arrest. Not so after five minutes. I can't believe first responders could arrive in less than 10 minutes when away from the dock. In this regard, I do not see a difference between coastal cruiser and ocean voyager.
Would like to hear others thoughts and experiences.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I carry one but only because my daughter has a heart condition.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
No AED. I do have aspirin and nitro on board though. I also have jumper cables! I do know CPR also. About 10-20 minutes max from first responders generally.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Fortunately nobody close to me is high risk right now, but if they were I would definitely keep one aboard. I got the training while pursuing my Captain's qualifications, and it's amazing technology. When you consider it's only one boat buck to improve the chances of saving a life.... it's cheap insurance and a worthwhile addition to your safety gear.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
More of us are at risk for sudden cardiac rest than you would imagine. I had my SCA on the tennis court in June. It was caused by low potassium, low magnesium, and slight dehydration. Those conditions were caused by a diuretic that I was taking. No warning. Nothing. I was walking back to the baseline after a point and out went the lights. No warning. Nothing. Dead when I hit the floor. Luckily a cardiac nurse practitioner was watching a match on the next court. She realized what had happened and ran onto the court to start CPR. Someone brought out the club's AED and she shocked me back to life. All in all I was dead for 7 minutes. 25 minutes after it happened I regained consciousness in the ambulance on the way to the ER. I had no idea what had happened. A couple of days in the hospital for tests. No heart damage or after effects. I now have my own defibrillator implanted in my left side. SCA causes more deaths than heart attacks. Less than 5% of those who have SCA outside of a hospital survive. AEDs only work if you are in defib. You also need competent CPR to keep you alive until the AED shocks your heart back into rhythm unless you have the implant. My new to me J/92 is appropriately named Jumpstart.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've been following my wife around with an AED since October when she was diagnosed with A Fib and Heart Failure. She was supposed to wear a vest that was a defibrillator but she found that psychologically impossible. She had a defibrillator implanted last month. Prior to that I did take my AED, which I have for different reasons, on the boat with us. I took it almost everywhere with us for those months. I am trying to develop the habit of having the AED with me when I go to meetings or other social events. It just might make the difference between a survival or the other. One caveat: If you have it available you need to have the paddles and battery up to date. You don't want to present the AED in a situation and have it not work. There won't be any bonus points for trying.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I carry an AED on Escape because we're all getting older, and the chance of the CG getting a chopper overhead with an AED in less than 5 minutes, even close to shore, is zero. I've participated in an SCA rescue with CPR while we waited for a security guard to unlock the case with the AED and bring it to the victim - a good 10 minutes - the first guard was so out of shape he collapsed and also went in the ambulance. A boat buck is cheap insurance - besides, it might be me that needs it....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
It’s on my list..... wife and I are both in decent shape, eat well, excersize, drink only the good stuff in moderation of course... never know when / who will need it. Watched a dock mate go down out of nowhere..... no symptoms as we were saying goodby before leaving on Long cruise a few years ago..... my wife started cpr immediately, guy turned purple before you knew it.... the machine saved his life.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Luckily a cardiac nurse practitioner was watching a match on the next court. She realized what had happened and ran onto the court to start CPR. Someone brought out the club's AED and she shocked me back to life. All in all I was dead for 7 minutes. 25 minutes after it happened I regained consciousness in the ambulance on the way to the ER.
And that ladies and gentlemen is why people take on the underappreciated profession of nursing. Service and saving lives. Congratulations Racer. Go buy a lottery ticket and a nice gift for that nurse.