Advice

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
Hi everyone need some advice and recommendations, I just purchase a Mac 25 , with a 7.5 Johnson for 500 bucks everything is fine no cracks interior in perfect condition but the sad part it's missing the mast even the sails were in it and all its hardware it's my first sailboat and plan on getting its mast on a later time, my question is can I motor it without the mast?and if I can do I have to have the keel down? I'm planning on using it as a weekend camper just moving it along the coast and and anchoring in low areas to get of and spend the day and use it for sleeping sorry for such a long story but I wouldn't want to get anyone in danger for not knowing it's better to ask stupid questions and not do stupid things thanks for reading and appreciate any comments.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Iceman: Yes you can motor without the mast, Yes you can do it without the keel down. However I would recommend lowering the keel a bit, maybe halfway, for stability and lateral resistance. WE are on Lake Mead (pond!) and have the option of beaching bow on or anchoring stern in. One of the great things about the Mac is you can store the rudder and anchor stern to the shore with a bow anchor. Also, make sure if you are going to anchor that you have adequate ground tackle. Danforth or equivalent anchor, 25 ft of 3/8 galvanized chain and a couple hundred feet +/- of braided anchor rope. Check with Minnies Yacht Salvage in Costa Mesa, CA for a mast section. Mast extrusion is Sparcraft S-104, or equal, 28 ft long. Minnies also has all sorts of rope, blocks, winches, etc. at good prices. I rigged Freedom with S-106 which is heavier so I could fly mast head spinnaker. In what part of AZ do you live? What lake do you sail? By the way you got a steal on the price. Just a used outboard in decent condition is pretty pricy. Send pics if you can. Good luck and Welcome to the Leagions of the damned

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
Iceman, It's Minnies Yacht Surplus. Ph# 949-548-4192 They have a website. Oh, by the way, is the rigging, forestay, backstay, sidestays missing?

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
Thanks really appreciate your advice I'm using it just around the San Carlos bay, I'm out of Nogales AZ, it like I said a weekend camper for now I'll set some pictures and really appreciate your time.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Unless you get lucky, you'll likely find you're going to spend more for a mast than a full boat would have cost. So good luck and keep looking!

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
Yes I kind of figured it will cost me, but if I can use it for a couple of days like it is until I find one at good price I'll be happy, I'm an over the road Truck driver every State I'm in I try going on Craigslist eventually I'll find one thank any comment is welcome and appreciated like I said I'm new at this.

Attachments

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 25 Southern Maryland
Yes I kind of figured it will cost me, but if I can use it for a couple of days like it is until I find one at good price I'll be happy, I'm an over the road Truck driver every State I'm in I try going on Craigslist eventually I'll find one thank any comment is welcome and appreciated like I said I'm new at this.
That's a nice strategy. Given how much you travel, you're bound to have success.
Good luck!

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
I sure hope so, right now it's getting a hull paint and keel kit with bolt an cable I'm taking care of safety features over all like I said I'm new and reading every little thing I can find on it using it as a little beach apartment on weekends with my family so any information you can shoot my way I appreciate thanks.

Jul 29, 2010
As Mentioned, Minnies in Costa Mesa has a lot of masts. Was there just a while back. I have been buying stuff from them for over 40 years. Maybe if you're on the road in the area you can check them out. Their email is minnies@aol.com. If you can get dimensions they can see what they have. I don't have S-104 measurement. Freedom has S-106. Can any one help get this guy a mast, etc. Good luck.
P.S. You should be thrown in jail, you stole this boat:clap:

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
Haha thanks. I know it was a really good deal. I'll check out the web and see what they got I'm doing some anchor shopping still can't come up with what is the best one there's hundreds of them any ideas like I said is mostly for beaching not much for deep water anchoring?

Jul 29, 2010
Danforth 15 lb is usually a good bet in the water and on the beach. Minnies probably has something that will fit. You'll need to anchor one end or the other in case the wind is blowing sideways.

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
I thought of that was looking for some heavy duty sand spikes appreciate your help I was going for a 25lb anchor read online about lb per foot and thought it was to much sellers would of sold me a 100lb one haha thanks your recommendation it's better some one that knows that a seller thanks guys.

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
Another question guy googled it couldn't find anything what's the draw on it with keel up to beach it?

Mar 24, 2017
Mcgregor 25 Arizona
Justsomeguy, BudGates, thank you guy for helping with information it really help my understand more on my Mac appreciate everything thanks.

May 23, 2011
MacGregor 26S Fort Myers
Congrats on finding your boat Iceman! This may help your searching for parts on Craigslist: check out searchtempest.com It's a 3rd party website that lets you search Craigslist nationwide with a single search. It will prioritize by distance from your location. It's very handy. It played a part in my decision to purchase my Mac 26S much sooner than I would have otherwise. A story for another day. All the best my friend.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Thanks for the link DanPhilGreen. I've been wishing for a broader way to search Craig's List for some time.