Advice on Mast Repair

AspenJ

Jan 5, 2018
O'Day 25 Great Salt Lake Marina
Hello everyone,

I recently came into ownership of my first boat, an O'Day 25 that had tipped over during some high winds while it was stored on some boat stands. The boat suffered some damage, but the hull was repaired and she was put back in the water.

When it fell over, it landed on a spreader, which bent the spreader mount and snapped the spreader itself. I've already purchased two new spreaders, and I'm preparing to put them back on.

I removed the spreader mount by drilling out the rivets securing it to the mast in order to allow me to bend it back into proper shape. When I removed the mount, I got a better view of the mast itself. I attached a photo of it to this post.

What are your opinions on the damage? Am I safe to rivet the mount back on and raise the mast?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
upload_2018-1-5_21-39-48.png

Is this just old sealant (say, 3M 5200) or is the aluminum really corroded? Was the Hole there for a reason in the middle of the spreader?

I'd like to see what the cleaned-up aluminum looks like before I'd just pop some rivets into those old elongaged, distorted (or corroded) old holes.

The sealant has the benefit of controlling or limiting corrosion -- It's not intended to glue the spreader in place.

After you clean it up and see what remains of "good" metal, you may determine whether you need to have a fitted plate (or plates) put in so you can attach to that rather than try to clamp the spreader directly to a weakened substrate.

That's an impression -- not a recommendation. I don't really have a good feel for what's going on.

AspenJ

Jan 5, 2018
Thanks for your input. There's no practical reason for the center hole to be present. Based on recommendations from other sources as well, I'm probably going to look at overlaying an aluminum plate shaped to the mast. The section that you circled in the upper left is corroded metal - you can see some of the remaining isolator compound where there is a slight brown color.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Welcome to the forum Aspenj. Looks like a bit of corrosion. This probably the worst place to have corrosion on the mast. Check the other side also and if you have a scope determine if there is internal damage. Is there a compression spacer in the hole where the bolt went through for the lower stays? There may have been a compression spacer between the two spreaders in the area that is corroded. The plate idea might work if the damage is no greater than what appears in the photo. I'm not saying to do it but if YOU plan too, 2-3 times the surface area of the area you are trying to cover up. You might also pull the mast base plate out and check for corrosion.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There appear to be line cracks between several of the holes. Maybe just the bedding compound but...
The larger hole is for spreader lights?
It certainly needs attention. However, it doesn't look like you need to throw it out. I don't know what options are available for you, but you should get some experienced eyes on it if you don't have experience with this kind of work (engineering, welding, construction with metal tubing or similar). Your comfort level will tell you what route to take.
When shrouds are tightened, they put compression force on the tubing from both sides. There may be a plate or ring or crossbar welded, molded or fit in with pressure to counter this force. I don't really know. Think about all the dynamic forces a mast must withstand and the fact that that corrosion was not caused by falling over.
Welcome to our family and congratulations on becoming a sailor and a member of SBO. I look forwards to reading more of your posts.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I don't like the look of those "brackets". Is there a compression post? My suggestion is to call these guys... they specialize in ODay parts etc.. and make sure you've got everything you need.. http://www.drmarine.com/default.asp Especially since your pictures show so much corrosion.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.. a diagram of my Cat 27's spreaders and bracket... note the compression posts between opposing critical load areas. I looked at a picture of the Oday 19, it has slightly swept back spreaders that may not require compression posts.. but you need to at least talk to someone who knows.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Nice diagram Joe. Aspenj this is the compression tubes I was referring to. My O'Day 23 mast is built like this diagram. The hole under the spreader fitting was probably round and smaller to hold the compression tube between the spreaders. The tube is the same length as the mast is wide and the fittings hold it in place. I can't get the bolt out of the tube on the tang for the lowers because dissimilar metals corrosion. I'm still suggesting removing the step and take a look inside.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I removed the spreader mount by drilling out the rivets securing it to the mast in order to allow me to bend it back into proper shape. When I removed the mount, I got a better view of the mast itself. I attached a photo of it to this post.
I re-read your post, AspenJ.

Did you bend the mast to straighten it out? If so, to what degree (there isn't any sign of a "kink") but what actually happened to rest of the mast, etc. Were there compression posts as shown in the Joe's diagrams above? Do you still have them?

Your O'Day 25 is like the one below? Single spreader with side stays as shown?

upload_2018-1-6_10-24-34.png

AspenJ

Jan 5, 2018
Sorry for the lack of clarity: The mast itself was not bent, I removed the spreader mount in order to bend the mount itself back into shape.

As for the compression tube, I still don't believe there's a compression tube between the spreaders themselves, but there is one present located beneath the spreaders similar to the lower compression tube shown in the diagram posted by Joe.

Here's a photo of the mount itself. You can see some of the deformation around where it contacts the mast, and the lower compression tube is visible as well.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
AspenJ,
The double ended carriage-bolt-like pin is the compression post that also doubles as an attachment for the spreaders.
upload_2018-1-6_12-30-48.png
That's what goes through the tortured hole in the center of the plate. It has a dual function. It expects to have a nice solid connection to "good" metal on both sides of the mast. The spreader plates function to distribute the loads, to some extent. It's principally sometimes in tension, as well as compression == and the joint is in sheer (i.e. the post/pin is being downward against what should be a clean hole.) IT SHOULDN'T really be in much bending (as you now have seen demonstrated).

Were the spreader attachments distorted on both sides -- or just one side ? The piece at the bottom is for the diagonal stay to connect to. If you have both handy, snap a picture which shows how the two of them line-up and their condition. The a view from the side you have with them together, plus a view of how they look at 90 degrees (sideways) would be helpful.

The mast will be orthogonal (at right angles to the double-ended pin that goes through. If you show how the pin would go through what's left of both, it would be informative.

At this point, I think you'll clearly need to have some sort of cleaned-up SS plate(s) fabricated. I'm not sure if the spreader bases are salvageable -- but before you start bending and bashing away at them, I'd suggest you examine at the whole scope of the "connections".

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Addendum:

I think a call to DR Marine would be in order. I'd send them the info that you've provided and discuss it with them.

Here's their site: http://drmarine.com/products.asp?pg=4

They may be distracted by the weather now -- but they're the first source for you unless i) they don't have it; or ii) you have some professional rigger/metal fabricator.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Also, best to CALL Rudy at D&R Marine, not e-mail (although he may want you to send pictures via e-mail?) Rudy does very well managing orders on-line and will usually ship pretty quick on web orders, but a phone call will always get best results (I follow-up on-line orders with phone call).
Phone # (508) 644-3001 Fax: (508) 644-3002
I'm one of the lucky ones who live close enough to visit Rudy in person on a Saturday morning!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That's what goes through the tortured hole in the center of the plate.
No. That goes through the lower hole
20180106_214436.jpg

You can match up the spreader bracket outline with the screws around the plate. I'll bet you there was a compression rod threaded into that center hole and it is rattling around lose inside the mast. Either that or that center hole is for wiring if the owner wants spreader lights or something.
That is going to be tough. Run wire down to the base through that hole on both sides, thread oversized washers on and pull up into place, fix with JD weld until you have repeated the process with the compression tube. Use stiff wire (coat hanger) to hold between the washers. Then put the threaded rod in and bolt together. Leave yourself a little tolerance tho work with, the nuts will take it up if it isn't too much (maybe 1/16").
Of course, fix the corroded area first.
Another approach might be to push Conduit up for internal wires to use and fill that section with epoxy.
I'm sure there are a number of ways to fix your problem. I'm just providing some places to start.
- Will (Dragonfly)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think you are right about the lowere hole; however, I don't think the O'Day 25's envisioned spreader lights.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't think the O'Day 25's envisioned spreader lights.
You are probably right, However I envision spreader lights for my O'Day mariner 19. They would be useful
For over night camping. People put lights or anemometers on their spreaders. The whole is probably there to help in mast assemble, if there is suppose to be a hole there at all, but it could be useful.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
My C22 has a similar set up with a compression tube that keeps the spreader brackets from squeezing the mast. Of course it is an aluminum tube over a stainless bolt... bad idea. If you coat the bolt with tef-gel it will last few seasons, but it seems most owners fail to do this maintenance and you end up with real nasty bi-metal corrosion and a sized sleeve & nut. The other half to this disaster is the back face of the spreader bracket (stainless) in contact with the aluminum mast. Catalina direct sells sheets dielectric isolation tape, which is basically just 3 inch wide 3M delrin tape. It's $8 per foot but you need 2 lineal feet (I bought 3 I think) and I was able to isolate every piece of stainless that touches my mast including the huge lower bracket for my boom vang... I have pics of this which I'll try to post later.
BTW, I replaced the aluminum compression tube with a thick walled piece of fiberglass tube.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I believe properly installed bedding compound lasts a long time -- but the rivets and screws are a different story.