Advice on H31 gooseneck fitting

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
Looking for feedback on what I am showing in this picture I shared of the gooseneck fitting on my 1986 Hunter 31 that I have recently acquired. You will note the retaining pin is dropping out the bottom. My question is where the tack and Cunningham cringle typically fasten on this model H31? It appears to me that there may be a piece missing somewhere here. Hoping fellow sailors can give me their experienced feedback and pics of your fitting would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

Sean

Attachments

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
My H31 has a different boom/ gooseneck fitting. Suggest checking rigrite.com.

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
To close the loop on this topic, I visited another H31 in the marina to check out his gooseneck fitting. Turns out the shackle passes through the tack and its shaft passes through the eye of the retaining bolt that passes up through the gooseneck fitting. Voila. Cheers, Sean

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looking for feedback on what I am showing in this picture I shared of the gooseneck fitting on my 1986 Hunter 31 that I have recently acquired. You will note the retaining pin is dropping out the bottom. My question is where the tack and Cunningham cringle typically fasten on this model H31? It appears to me that there may be a piece missing somewhere here. Hoping fellow sailors can give me their experienced feedback and pics of your fitting would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

Sean
Sean,
Thanks for starting this topic. For the last three years, I have been attaching my tack by tying the jackline through the tack and around the reefing hooks on my goosneck. I knew this wasn't correct, but it worked. After reading this thread I decided to figure out how to correctly attach the tack. I have the old style gooseneck with the plastic hemispheres, so it was not exactly like the one posted, but I examined it closely, and figured out what would make it work. I managed to find a shackle where the pin would fit through the hole in the top of my old style gooseneck at West Marine last weekend.

I didn't know exactly what I was looking for until I just reread your rigrite link, but the one I found is almost identical to the one shown on rigrite. It just made sense. Thanks

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
My challenge is that I don't appear to have the NB1 Old-Style Reef Hooks on my boom, so have to figure out what the alternate method is for reefing. Any others have thoughts on this? Sean

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks Chip...and you attach the eye reefing hook where..?
Cheers,

Sean
I guess I called it the wrong thing. Jssailem is correct. what I was talking about was a cunningham/downhaul hook. They are used to pull down on the sail like in the picture below.
cunningham.jpg

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
I guess I called it the wrong thing. Jssailem is correct. what I was talking about was a cunningham/downhaul hook. They are used to pull down on the sail like in the picture below.
View attachment 139171
Thanks Pateco, and the line from your downhaul reefing hook is fastened where...? Cheers, Sean

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks Pateco, and the line from your downhaul reefing hook is fastened where...? Cheers, Sean
Sean,
mine runs through a block at the base of the mast by the vang, and then through the deck organizer to one of the starboard cabin top cam cleats. I have seen pics of other boats that have it fixed by the mast with blocks and cleats. the picture below shows one set up with a whole lot of purchase.
cunningham blocks.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sam. A Cunningham/downhaul hook can be pulled tight and fastened to any secure point on your mast. For example a cleat on the mast. Some even rig a block to increase the purchase, but usually not needed on your sized boat. Your just trimming the sail.
The reef hook is usually attached to the boom at the goose-neck. You pull the sail down, set the sail in the hook, then you haul down on the halyard to pull the sail up taut against the hook.

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
This is a better shot of my gooseneck fitting....you can see I have no place to attach a reefing line to .....

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If your main has the tack and 2 reefing points you can use one hook or two. One on each side of the sail.