Advice on buying an 18'-20' Sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2013
N/A 23 Nj
I'm new to posting to this forum and would like some direction on a Trailerable sailboat purchase. Here's some details I would like to have in the boat and some boats I've looked into.

-i would plan on operating the boat by myself most of the time

- I plan on using with family of 4-6. Young children in bays and beaching on sandbar islands on the NJ coast. But would love to be able to head out in the ocean on nice days.

-Drier the better while cruising

- sporty but not too tender.

-Centerboard / swing keel

-easy to launch since it will not be in a slip

-the Catalina 22 looks inticing but concerns me on its size and handling during launch and transport.

- the Flying Scot features seem to fit my needs gets good reviews then I see it getting horrible ones. The O'Day daysailer seems to get tossed out in most forums. Hunters seem to get negative attention too.

-spend $1000-$3000. Fair to good condition. Im handy with boats/glassing, etccc. So year doesnt matter.

Any insight would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Ryan

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
How old are the kids? You're going to be hard pressed to sail with a family of 6 in anything that small unless you're going in shifts. I have a Capri 22 with a huge cockpit and we rarely sail with more than 4 people aboard. I see they Flying Scot says it can seat 8 people but I'd be surprised if it's advisable to SAIL with that many.

What's your tow vehicle and what are your concerns about the Catalina 22? There are lots of them around and they're definitely trailerable. Also a very different boat than the Flying Scot, about twice the weight but with the cabin, etc. Others can speak to whether it's a good idea to beach a C22.

Feb 16, 2013
N/A 23 Nj
Thanks for replying.

-the kids are young. 6-4-2 yrs old. Honestly I would most likely use the Kicker motor to transport them to the island which is approx a mile from the ramp - inlet. I usually use a small powered skiff.

Good to hear about the concern with capacity. I plan on visiting a Capri as well as a the 22 today.

Yea i noticed on youtube the vids of people trailering and launching isnt that intense.

My vehicle is a Jeep Commander 4x4 V8I trailered a 21' center console easily. But still a big boat to haul all over the state on a weekly basis.

The family of 8 would be the max with relatives on rare occasions. Prefer if possible as an option.

If there's nothing out there in that size range and a 25' or larger is the only solution then Id probably settle for an 18' or less and just take one or two people out.

Thanks again!
Ryan

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
When I had my Catalina 22 I'd sail (occasionally) with 3 other adults and that was full enough. I sailed with a C-22 friend last year accompanied by his wife, MIL and 2 small children and was glad it was only for a couple of hours.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
you are asking a lot from a small boat, but for a light boat, ease of launching, sailing, trailering and the price range with more room, check out the macgregor 25 or 26.... the 26 is a water ballasted boat and the 25 is the older design with a swing keel but by no means obsolete.

there are a lot of good boats out there, but to find one that has a decent balance of all the requirements you stated, narrows it down... not necessarily to the macgregor being the only choice, but the mac falls well within your requirements....

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
For anything exceeding 4 adults, a 22 is simply much too small, and still too small for 4 people for anything exceeding a day/overnight. For what your intending, I would look for a boat in the 26 foot plus range with water ballast, as thats the only way to have a boat that size and still keep trailerable weight down. Even with that size and type boat, 4 people plus kids will be very cramped, if not overloaded.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think the Capri 22 would be perfect.... large cockpit.. flat deck area forward... a cuddy sized cabin with porta potty and small cooking area. No pop top.... but a huge, huge cockpit (oh, I said that already) But best of all....... a very excellent sailing boat. You can take it in the ocean, safely. If you ever get your kids into racing when they get older, the Capri 22 would fill the bill. Another plus........ it has beautiful lines.... it looks fast.

Here's some examples: http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99capri22.html

May 23, 2007
I think the Capri 22 would be perfect.... large cockpit.. flat deck area forward... a cuddy sized cabin with porta potty and small cooking area. No pop top.... but a huge, huge cockpit (oh, I said that already) But best of all....... a very excellent sailing boat. You can take it in the ocean, safely. If you ever get your kids into racing when they get older, the Capri 22 would fill the bill. Another plus........ it has beautiful lines.... it looks fast.

I can't argue with that assessment. :D

However, you can't beach a Capri 22. The fin draws 4', the wing about 2-1/2 feet, and the exceedingly rare shoal keel draws about 18 inches.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
I can't argue with that assessment. :D

However, you can't beach a Capri 22. The fin draws 4', the wing about 2-1/2 feet, and the exceedingly rare shoal keel draws about 18 inches.
I tend to agree with your comment after really thinking about our friend's original requests...... we all seemed to try to sell him a bigger boat.... I mean some had got him up to 26 feet......!!! water ballast or not, I'm not seeing him go that way.

But, I think a Capri 18 might be the ticket..... 2 foot draft.... large cockpit with a small cuddy... easy to rig and trailer.... I'd like to own one myself.
What do you think, Sinnettc?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I think people are bumping up the size because the OP is talking up to 8 people Joe.
Even though some are tiny people they still take up space.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
I think people are bumping up the size because the OP is talking up to 8 people Joe.
Well... he actually said a family of 4-6.... that would mean a couple of adults and some kids.... but I'm not gonna nit pick you.

I've raced on a 22 footer with 5 adult crew... no problem. Cruising overnight, no way... but a daysail or race... okay. Remember, everyone doesn't need to sit in the cockpit... on my 27 footer guests will regularly sit up on deck by the mast, or along the lifelines.... There's also lots of room below...

May 23, 2007
Capri 18's seem to be ok. Kind of like a mini-me of Verboten. :D Still not what I'd call beachable but at least you can get closer than I can.

Someone on another forum was looking for a beachable/trailerable and a Dovekie was suggested. Maybe a bit big (28 or 30 feet I think) but definitely can be beached. Isn't that a Bolger design? Seems like a lot of those are flat bottomed and might fit the bill.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I think people are bumping up the size because the OP is talking up to 6 people Joe.
I agree.... if the OP has an option of 22 or 26 in the same price range and and it tows as well with the same tow vehicle.... then why not consider the option of going up a size or two.... the family will grow into all that empty space:D....

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Well... he actually said a family of 4-6.... that would mean a couple of adults and some kids.... but I'm not gonna nit pick you.

I've raced on a 22 footer with 5 adult crew... no problem. Cruising overnight, no way... but a daysail or race... okay. Remember, everyone doesn't need to sit in the cockpit... on my 27 footer guests will regularly sit up on deck by the mast, or along the lifelines.... There's also lots of room below...

In his second post the OP wrote "The family of 8 would be the max with relatives on rare occasions. Prefer if possible as an option."

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.

Sailing the Capri 22 in the open ocean? You can do it sure, but safely? that's another matter, highly dependent upon wind, tides & wave heights. The higher any of these numbers go, the less safe this lil' boat is. I wouldn't take my family out on any boat of less length then 22 feet, unless it is on a sheltered lake. The problem with very small boats is that when you have a family, you tend to outgrow their limited size & capability quickly. But they are a good way to start out & decide if sailing is really for you & your family, without making a big financial commitment. The C 25 is a good "middle of the road" boat, & the MacGregor 26 is a bigger trailerable boat, but really makes a better motor boat then a sailboat. The Flying Scott is a venerable lil' daysailer, but is really only comfortable for two adults & with low freeboard expect to get wet.

May 23, 2007
Sailing the Capri 22 in the open ocean? You can do it sure, but safely? that's another matter, highly dependent upon wind, tides & wave heights. The higher any of these numbers go, the less safe this lil' boat is.
I hope you're not suggesting the Capri 22 is inherently unsafe? I'd take my Capri 22 out on the open ocean before many other comparably sized boats, but yeah, common sense is required.

IMO, it really depends on local conditions, experience and options if the weather turns. I live near the Oregon Coast but I choose not to sail there - not because I couldn't, but because the weather here can change quickly and there's nowhere to run if they close the bar/entrance to whichever harbor you left. I choose to err on the side of caution.

We will cruise the San Juans this summer and I'd sail the coast of Maine without hesitation, primarily because there's plenty of options (harbors/bays) to run to if the weather changes unexpectedly. I hope to cruise to Victoria BC and the Gulf Islands in 2015; we could cross the Strait of Juan de Fuca from Port Angeles but we'll probably cut through the SJ's from Anacortes because common sense says that's the safer route for a boat our size.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
Ryan, I have a Hunter 23.5 that meets all of your requirements. It's water ballast and draws very little with the centerboard up. It's easy to beach, and more importantly, easy to un-beach. The cockpit is huge. I typically will have 4-6 on board and nobody is cramped. Below, it is very roomy for a 23 footer. A common trip for us in the summer would be to sail to a beach on the lake here, anchor offshore and let out anchor rode as the wind pushed us toward the shore, until the rear swim ladder was on top of a sand bar. I could step into water just above my knees, but the boat is not beached. The boat weighs less than 2000lbs dry, add another 1000 for the trailer and you don't need a heavy duty vehicle to trailer it. Mine has been in a slip for a couple of years, but when I was in practice, setup was around 30 minutes and easy one man operation.

May 8, 2012
Catalina 25 SR SK Beaufort
Ryanpoletis said:
I'm new to posting to this forum and would like some direction on a Trailerable sailboat purchase. Here's some details I would like to have in the boat and some boats I've looked into.

-i would plan on operating the boat by myself most of the time

- I plan on using with family of 4-6. Young children in bays and beaching on sandbar islands on the NJ coast. But would love to be able to head out in the ocean on nice days.

-Drier the better while cruising

- sporty but not too tender.

-Centerboard / swing keel

-easy to launch since it will not be in a slip

-the Catalina 22 looks inticing but concerns me on its size and handling during launch and transport.

- the Flying Scot features seem to fit my needs gets good reviews then I see it getting horrible ones. The O'Day daysailer seems to get tossed out in most forums. Hunters seem to get negative attention too.

-spend $1000-$3000. Fair to good condition. Im handy with boats/glassing, etccc. So year doesnt matter.

Any insight would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Ryan
Ryan I'm getting ready to sell my Catalina 22 and although I'm selling it this isn't a push to necessarily sell it to you.
However I think a C-22 would be perfect for you if you are not planing to do lots of overnights on it. Me and my two sons can do an overnight camping trips on it fine, once we throw another adult in the picture (mom) space gets too tight down below for everyone to be comfortable. (think of a shell game to get to the porta potty lol)
During just a day sail there's plenty of room for another adult or two. Four adults and a couple of kids is about the max that you
can comfortable maneuver around. Kids can go below to take naps or play handheld computer games while the adults hold down the cockpit drinking cold ones.
I pulled my C-22 with the same Jeep Grand Cherokee v8 you have and if the trailer is balanced (sailboat placed properly on the trailer) like mine, she's a dream to tow.I could do 75 on I-95 with absolutely no worries when I trailered her down from Virginia Beach to Hilton Head, SC. The only thing you need to make sure you had was room in front of you for stopping. (I have no trailer brakes) If you had to jump on the brakes you knew there was some weight behind you, not horrible BUT you
Knew that mass was there. We recently upgraded to a C-25 so the while family could overnight better together and I used the same Jeep Grand Cherokee to retrieve that hulking mass (compared to the c-22). I pulled that back 11 hrs away from Ohio and it was a load, manageable but not something I want to do on a regular basis. Setting up a C-22 was an easy one person job for me, I could step the mast by myself with out any fancy rigs. I could just place the bottom where it need to go and dead lift the mast straight up into position, trailer to water with the mast up in 30 minutes. A little longer if I wanted everything set up and stored on board perfectly neat meaning coolers, food cushions etc.

I hoped this helped and feel free to ask questions.

Steve

My c-22 pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85614346@N03/7859638490

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Tanzer 22' is a great little boat wf huge cockpit and decent cabin, draft depends on model, this is a heavy well made 22fter..I did not trailer mine,trailering and setting up a sunfish was more than I wanted to do.... Red

Status
Not open for further replies.