Advice on Bimini

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
@Page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120% }

Looking for some advice here. I know that the subject of Bimini tops for Hunter 23’s has been worked over a number of times in this forum but I can’t seem to find the advice that I need.

It appears that most of the commercially available tops have a minimum length of 60”. The distance from my main sheet to my backstays is only about 53 inches. I really do not relish the idea of moving the main sheet attachments 7” forward on the boom and I am not sure that I am up to cutting holes for the bacKstays to come down through.

I have a frame that I can recut to fit the boat but then I am into sewing a fabric top for the frame...I wonder if all of this is necessary??? Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to purchase a top that has a length more like what is needed on a H23? My measeurements suggest that the width ought to be around 83-85 inches, height from side deck about 43 inches and length about 53”. Anything larger than this is going to require some major modifications….HELP!!!

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
My experience is from a H26. The boom is constructed so that it has several attachment points along the bottom. I have simply moved my mainsheet attachment forward to the second attachment (possibly around 12 inches or more) and this does not negatively affect sailing performance. The mainsheet attaches with a quick disconnect fitting so it is always easy to move it back if you are sailing without the bimini up. What is your concern about moving by 7 inches?

Sep 7, 2011
My experience is from a H26. The boom is constructed so that it has several attachment points along the bottom. I have simply moved my mainsheet attachment forward to the second attachment (possibly around 12 inches or more) and this does not negatively affect sailing performance. The mainsheet attaches with a quick disconnect fitting so it is always easy to move it back if you are sailing without the bimini up. What is your concern about moving by 7 inches?

I was just concerned about decreased leverage for the main sheet....perhaps that is not an issue...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@decktosser
Having been involved with the designs of these bimins from inception plus installation of many, there was never an issue moving the attachment point on the boom forward to accommodate the mainsheet. Others will agree so hopefully this wii ease your mind

Sep 7, 2011
Thanks to all that responded to my request for info. I guess the only decision left is whether to go with a bimini from Ameriseam or one from this site. Thanks again................

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
On our H260, I slid our bimini aft when I installed it to clear the mainsheet in its aft most bail. That means, on mine anyways, there some 12-16 inches of bimini overhanging the stern but, the boat and sun move so...

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
I got the SBO Bimini and I did have to move my main sheet forward on the boom about 4 or 5" as I recall. It wasn't a big deal. I've had it this way for several years now without any issues and I LOVE having a bimini on hot sunny days!

It also makes a good towel holder after sunset swimming. ;-)

Last edited: