Advice on a purchase!

Catdad

Jan 29, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Unknown
Greetings!
Newbie here, but I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on my first sailboat. I’ve been lurking for years, and I’ve decided I want a Catalina.

I’m currently looking at a one owner, 1990 22’ Capri, wing keel. In general, it seems to be in very good shape, including a new main and Genoa. Super clean interior. Asking $4000. Includes a 4hp outboard that is on its last leg and trailer looks just ok. I’m contemplating an offer in the $3k range.

My questions: while inspecting this weekend, the hull seemed to be in good shape. No obvious patches or damage. No soft spots. Keel looks pristine. However, I did notice a couple of fiberglass issues that I need help with. Near the forward hatch I saw some cracking in the deck (pics attached). How bad is this? Is it safe to assume some water is working its way inside? Does this require immediate attention? How is this repaired?

Also, while looking at the hull, I noticed at small amount “wavering” in the fiberglass on the starboard side, behind the keel (pic attached but you need to look closely). Is this common and just a reflection of the build quality or something more?

Thanks all! This is an incredible site for those looking to get into sailing. I hope to be an owner someday soon!
2D48CE21-2092-464E-BDC3-C6AAE35CBF17.jpeg

FF37C73B-2FFB-4811-98D0-1420F4A1DEDE.jpeg

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
The cracks along both sides of the mast step could mean nothing significant, but they could mean a repair job is needed. Check the compression post and the structure of the boat on both ends of the compression post. Often, the compression post is sitting on a block of wood. If that wood gets water-logged, it can lose its compressive strength. The compression post sinks down, transferring some of the weight onto the deck. If that is the case, then reseat the compression post. You'll want to seal the cracks in the deck, too.

There should be a Capri22 owners association website. That would be my first place to go for advice.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome catdad,
You have already shown uncommon good sense by joining the SBO community in prep for your big purchase.
I'm not experienced with that boat, but those cracks look like fairly large stress cracks caused by movement and pressure on the step. As the potential buyer, I would assume those cracks go thru to the core.
$4000 for a 22' seems high. However, a good motor could be worth half that. The ripple along the bottom may never be any issue unless you plan to race. It could also indicate a cracked or rotted stringer or rib. If you tap the hull and deck area with a plastic screwdriver handle, you can listen for hollow and delaminated areas.
Is there more than a basic sailboat there? Does she have a working electrical system? Navigation, anchor, bimini/dodger, complete set of good sails, cushions and galley and head all in good shape?

Keep in mind that $4000 is just the acquisition price. How much will it cost to get you at the tiller under sail?
What kind of work are you comfortable getting into? Do you have facilities for fiberglass work?

I'm sure you've looked exhaustively in your area. I don't know how long you've been looking, but don't let your desire to get a boat force you to get the wrong boat. If, after a second third and fourth look, you still like this boat, there are no issues I can think of, with what you've shown us, that can't be dealt with.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 30, 2014
Catalina 22 Indiana
I had a crack on my 1986 Catalina 22 (which is a close cousin of the Capri you're looking at) that from what I can tell looks like it was worse than what I can see in the pictures you posted... seeing what the crack looks like going down into the hatch would be helpful... and important I would think in your purchase decision.

Anyway, the thread below should give a sense of what mine looked like when I opened it up, and what I did to fix it. Fortunately there was no evidence of damage to the core; and my epoxy repair has held up well. I ended up replacing the hatch gasket as well. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/crack-between-mast-hatch-on-86-c-22.161299/

I was clearly anxious about my repair... but in retrospect... it was fairly straightforward. And the good folks on this forum were and continue to be a great help.

Jul 28, 2016
I have a 1989 Capri 22, so have some familiarity. The 1990 is also a first generation boat with stainless steel compression posts offset to either side of center, with a wood beam which bridges the area under the mast step (later, 2nd generation boats had a single center mounted compression post). From the cracks in the deck, it appears that the deck is flexing under the load of the rig. This would suggest the need to check the compression posts and wood beam, although it could be due to the standing rigging being mis-adjusted. If the mast step isn't sealed water can enter potentially causing rot in the wood beam, which in turn would allow the deck to flex. I would likely want to determine if the stress cracks are thru the laminate, or simply in the gelcoat. If thru the laminate you could have water in the core, which should also be addressed. Not a huge job, and certainly within the capability of the average DIY owner. It would definitely be a negotiating point.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
I had to check my 1985 model because I didn't think the mast step was on a raised platform, but I see it is. Those cracks are a bit concerning, my boat has been well used but that's one area on it that's ok fortunately.

@jwing The owner's association site (capri22.net) links here. You are giving advice from the CP22 owners forum :).

Last edited:

Catdad

Jan 29, 2018
Thanks for the replies all. I’m definitely going to take a closer look at those cracks based on the advice here.

Catdad

Jan 29, 2018
On a somewhat related note, I’m hoping to use this (or similar) boat for some limited overnighting with my wife and 6 year old. Has anyone come up with a small cabin table design for a Capri? I haven’t found much on this site or on the Google.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Has anyone come up with a small cabin table design for a Capri? I haven’t found much on this site or on the Google.
Build one or have one built. Tables are among the easier of projects for boats.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
I made a table... but it's for the cockpit...
It sits on the transom and gets bungie'd to the engine mount...
...otherwise, self explanatory!