Advice needed on replacing section of rub rail on H23

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Stern dock line broke and boat rubbed against floating dock finger, causing abrasions and a shallow gouge in hull. A section about 5 feet long on the rub rail also broke, shattering the white plastic piece into which the black rubber rub strip is inserted. It broke into about 4 or 5 pieces and the rubber is now hanging down in a loop.
I think I can get the white extruded plastic base strip here on the store - Dave G, do you know what it is called in the catalog? I have a '91 if that matters.

Anyone do this repair? Screwing on the white piece doesn't seem too challenging, but does anyone have hints or tricks to push the rubber piece back in?

Attachments

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
I just fixed mine. Best method I found was to use a heat gun to get the black rub rail nice and hot and push the top in first and then slide along the bottom, if you get it hot enough it pops right in. It's not a fun job. :/

SqPeg

Oct 2, 2014
Hunter 32 Vision Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor
Someone over the winter decided my lines were too tight and loosened them. The boat banged against a piling. The "keeper" broke apart and was lost. We now have to replace the whole keeper and rubrail as they each come in one coiled piece. The Hunter store here has them.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Thanks for advice. I am assuming insurance will cover as it was storm/wind driven damage but will post update.