Advice needed for newport 28 mkii diesel removal

Oct 5, 2015
Sailboat Sailboat Anywhere
I am considering re-powering my 87 Newport 28 MKII and am seeking advice for removal of the diesel. Has anybody attempted this and have any suggestions on where to start unbolting and tearing down once I have all the fluids drained? Will the stripped motor come out of the cockpit motor hatch? If so, how much do I have to strip it down to get it out? Thanks! KMD

Nov 14, 2005
-Newport 30 Mk II Portland
I am considering re-powering my 87 Newport 28 MKII and am seeking advice for removal of the diesel. Has anybody attempted this and have any suggestions on where to start unbolting and tearing down once I have all the fluids drained? Will the stripped motor come out of the cockpit motor hatch? If so, how much do I have to strip it down to get it out? Thanks! KMD
I assume you have the Universal 5411 diesel? Removal is simple and requires little in the way of braun or equipment. I would remove the engine following these procedures: Turn the battery switch(s) OFF; remove the battery ground cables from the batteries; unbolt the prop shaft coupler at the back of the transmission and separate the coupler about an inch or so; unbolt the exhaust elbow at the back of the exhaust manifold and plug the exhaust hose to prevent any water from back flowing from the exhaust into the engine compartment; tie up or block up the exhaust hose as high as possible to discourage any water from back flowing also; disconnect the shift & throttle & engine kill cables and secure out of the way; disconnect the main battery positive and negative cables and tie back out of the way; unplug the engine wiring harness connector and tie the harness up to the engine to prevent damage; remove the upper engine mount nuts and washers; remove the alternator and bracket as it adds width to the engine; shut off the engine raw water seacock and remove the hose from the engine raw water pump; plug the open end of the raw water supply hose to prevent flooding in the event the seacock is accidentally opened or if it doesn't seal well; shut off the fuel supply valve at the fuel tank and remove the fuel hose from where it attaches to your engine; plug off the open end of the fuel hose to prevent any leakage. The engine is now ready to be lifted off the engine mount studs and slid forward so it sits under the companionway. I place a piece of plywood under it before I slide it. This protects the boat from damage and it makes sliding it easy. I bolt a chain to two places on the engine. There should be at least one steel eye attached to a head bolt. I place a 4X4 atwartships across the hatch and use a come-along to raise the engine up to cockpit sole level. Then I lower it on to another piece of plywood in the cockpit, slide it around and get ready to slide up a plank or other piece of ply up to the coaming and finally on to the dock. Then I use a hand truck to get it up to the parking lot. Not hard. The 5411 is a small engine and fairly light.
Alison Mazon, 1980 NP 30 Mk II, #998

Oct 5, 2015
Sailboat Sailboat Anywhere
Thanks for the detailed reply. My boat has the Universal M18, but I imagine the removal procedures are pretty similar. I recently found a good deal on craigslist for a used electric motor setup that was pulled out of another boat. The next major issue I have with the diesel and I will make the swap.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Alison's post is pretty much bang-on. One alternative is to use a block-and-tackle attached to the boom to lift the engine into the cockpit (I'd hook the main halyard to the boom so the weight isn't all taken by the toppinglift). Also be sure to "cap off" any fuel fittings so diesel doesn't leak out. And it might be an idea to drain the oil. Oh, and if you want to get Fancy, make some temporary stringers from 2x10's to sit the engine on in the cabin. And have some 1" or larger pipes to roll the engine on.

druid

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
JO, how,s that working for you? I am in the learning phase of the same conversion and would like some details.