Advice for my main sheet block and tackle set up

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
Sorry it appears PB is giving me problems right now. Try later

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You can upload images to "media" on your profile page, then post them in threads. That's how I'm doing it at the moment.

Aug 18, 2016
Thanks Gene...I want to get this fixed up and thinking of just adding a fiddle cam block to the traveler bar.....I'm confused as to whether it would be a certain size from Larken 57mm or 75mm running my 3/8 sheet.

Aug 18, 2016
Here is a set up I found on line that I might be able to modify mine to....except my forward boom is not sooo far forward. Thoughts on specs I should look for in possible harken fiddle cam swivel block?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't set it up like the pic. Get rid of the cam and single block on the boom. Lash the other top becket block to the boom with webbing strap. Start sheet at becket on top block..down and back....then finish through lower cam...you`ll have 3:1. Consider going down to 5/16 for mainsheet, it will allow less expensive smaller blocks and run smoothly with less friction.

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
You might look into joining the Catalina 22 Class Assn. Find it at www.catalina22.org They have forums specific to the boat that will be useful both in terms of rigging, used equipment and issues with construction and maintenance. In my 30 years with owning and campaigning the J24, the Class Assn was a huge resource.

And, I agree with Joe on line size and block size. The 3/8 double braid that was a norm in the past is replaced by thinner, lighter, stronger higher tech line today. Only consideration on mainsheet size should be comfort in your hand as you will have it there a lot and if its a stiff/nasty line, it will wear out your hands. On my Beneteau 31 (310), my mainsheet is a 5/16 line and its plenty stout for the job. Smaller would eat up the hands. My mainsheet blocks are size 60's with metal sheaves. On the J24, we ran 2.25 inch (57mm) blocks as the largest. Mainsheet/Spinnaker.
In the picture you posted, they have that mainsheet double ended so it can be adjusted at the bottom while you are sitting down in the cockpit and adjusted with the "head-knocker" cleat while you are sitting on the rail or a crew is on the rail and hiking.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
57mm blocks are ideal ( my opinion) -- but like others have mentioned get the fiddle block and becket. Ditch the single upper so you get a full 4:1 purchase. I just bought my harken set up below:

IMG_2759.JPG

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I wanted to do mid boom sheeting... from experience sailing a Capri 22 that had a mid cockpit traveler I can see why this mod is popular (not having to reach back for the main sheet. My issue now is that I've installed a Bimini so it could get in the way. I'm pretty sure that I can design the system to either completely clear the Bimini, or at least I can pull the sheet from the mid boom block and use it normally when the Bimini is up, then have mid-boom sheeting with Bimini down. Compromises.