Adjusting Lewmar Portlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2004
Hunter 306 Bluewater Bay Marina (Niceville, FL)
Man, I hate to do this. The answer is probably out there so simply explained even I could understand it, but I've just wasted over an hour + looking at the Lewmar site (and all their .pdf files for portlights, installations, etc.), and tried multiple searches at SBO.com on "adjusting Lewmar Portlights" (with no good hits!) OK...so I've got a 2003 Hunter 306 with four (opening) Lewmar ports. Three work well - when retaining latches at bottom are flipped up, the portlight can be flipped up and they stay. The fourth one, when the latches are flipped, and the portlight is lifted, it just falls back down. Aaarrrgghhh!

I suppose there is (hopefully) an adjustment (4mm hex? or similar) somewhere that increases the friction just a bit. Looking at the installation instructions in Lewmar's info, I see nothing about any cover that pops off for access, or some place where there would be access to adjust friction. I don't want to buy a new portlight. I don't want to buy new hinges.

Any help out there? This should be a no-brainer, but I just can't seem to figure it out.
[FONT=&quot]V/r, Dennis[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The effect of sailing is produced by a judicious arrangement of the sails to the direction of the wind.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]William Falconer[/FONT]

Oct 24, 2011
Hunter Passage 450 Lake Lanier, GA
Man, I hate to do this. The answer is probably out there so simply explained even I could understand it, but I've just wasted over an hour + looking at the Lewmar site (and all their .pdf files for portlights, installations, etc.), and tried multiple searches at SBO.com on "adjusting Lewmar Portlights" (with no good hits!) OK...so I've got a 2003 Hunter 306 with four (opening) Lewmar ports. Three work well - when retaining latches at bottom are flipped up, the portlight can be flipped up and they stay. The fourth one, when the latches are flipped, and the portlight is lifted, it just falls back down. Aaarrrgghhh!

I suppose there is (hopefully) an adjustment (4mm hex? or similar) somewhere that increases the friction just a bit. Looking at the installation instructions in Lewmar's info, I see nothing about any cover that pops off for access, or some place where there would be access to adjust friction. I don't want to buy a new portlight. I don't want to buy new hinges.

Any help out there? This should be a no-brainer, but I just can't seem to figure it out.
[FONT=&quot]V/r, Dennis[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The effect of sailing is produced by a judicious arrangement of the sails to the direction of the wind.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]William Falconer[/FONT]
I am pretty sure that the adjustment is in the hinge itself...just see what allen wrench will fit and try adjusting clockwise to tighten.

Jun 13, 2004
Thanks, Doc. Just bought a set of metric hex keys and will try to get the end tightened. (Couldn't do it with my regular SAE allens.) Taking off the frame let me see where it probably adjusts. This one (of 4 ports) that keeps dropping down has been an irrititant since I got the boat in 2007. Thanks again.

Jun 13, 2004
Again, thanks, Doc. EXACTLY correct. Once I got a proper sized metric hex wrench in there and turned it a bit, it tightened beautifully. (Absolutely cannot believe I've lived with a "droopy portlight" for over 5 years!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.