Adding water tank

ElMico

Apr 3, 2018
Catalina 30 Seattle
Hey all,

I have a new to me '83 Catalina 30. I'm going to sit out the rainy season and take it as an opportunity to do bottom paint and a few other projects. My boat does not have a hot water heater, and has the holding tank under the v-berth. A couple of questions: 1. Where was the hot water heater on the MK I? Mine has a larger fuel tank under the aft berth that comes all the way fwd, so I can't add it there. 2. Has anyone added a second water tank under the port settee, just like the starboard side?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
I share an 82 and it has holding tank on port under dinette seat, main water tank under v berth, extra water tank under starboard settee, hot water tank in port cockpit locker. I would not drink the water from port side tank until you are sure it isn’t black water.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My 93 has the same tank set up as uralite so I don't see why you couldn't put a water tank under the port settee.
Can you locate the new port side water tank forward enough to place the WH just aft of it? I have a reserve battery aft of the holding tank. Without the battery I believe I could make a WH fit in that position.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
On the mk1, the WH is located in the cockpit port sail locker. (That locker is technically not a lazerette.)

It sat mounted on a board (that rots out) against the inboard and fwd walls of the locker. There’s a CTY drawing on the C30 io group forum website that shows the plumbing arrangement.

The MK2 has the WH moved to behind the fuel tank under the QuarterBerth, which is the preferred location due to engine coolant airlock/overheating issues with the WH in the (higher) cockpit location. The Seaward WH will fit there on the MKI and it’s a simpler plumbing than it being in the sail locker.

There’s a thread on the IC30A forum io groups website that shows (w/pics) a mkI owner making that change. Cmon over, join up, and check it out.

Additionally, recommend you plumb the WH coolant (heatant) lines per the XP engine (seperate coolant loop) vs how it was plumbed on the M25 engine (thru the Hx.)

ElMico

Apr 3, 2018
Catalina 30 Seattle
Hey,tthanks for the tips everyone. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll hang on to this info, but this project will go on the back burner while I sort out some keel bolt and bilge issues.

Thanks again!