Adding new deck hardware Hunter 33.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2012
Hunter 33.5 MIddle River, MD
Hi Guys,
Thinking of rerouting the main sheet on my 1989 Hunter 33.5 to the cockpit. The dodger is in the way to reach the original sheet and cleat. Does anyone know if there is aluminum or stainless plates imbedded in the deck on the port side adjacent to the deck organizer and rope clutch on the starboard? I would like to run the mainsheet to the base of the mast and then down the port side through a deck organizer, under the spray hood, and into a rope clutch or a cam cleat.

I am trying to figure out the best way to attach the new hardware to the cabin top. Any help would be great. New boat for me and still have lots to learn about it.

Thanks,
Paul

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth VA
I contacted Hunter a few years ago and asked the same question. Rep I talked to sounded very young and not that reassuring, but his answer was yes, there is an aluminum plate embedded on the port side.
I did not feel comfortable with his answer so I did a little checking on my own. After trying my two stud finders and several borrowed ones, I found one that seemed to work in identifying an area with different readings. Using a pencil and marking many, many test readings I mapped out what seemed to be the location of the port side plate. I placed my new organizer block in that location (across from the starboard organizer) and marked a test mounting hole. I then did a test drill and was relieved to see aluminum chips coming from the test hole. There is also a plate in the rope clutch location on the port side also. My boat is an 88 H33.5 so maybe yours has the plates too.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2012
Cbsailor,
Thank you very much for the info, it was exactly what I was looking for.
Did you move your main sheet to the cockpit as well?

Jul 8, 2004
The mainsheet on Ninkasi was already brought back to the cockpit on the stbd side. I brought the spin halyard and topping lift back to the cockpit on the port side. I also added clutches. Still haven't added a port side winch, but its on the to-do list.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
cbsailor, Are you saying that there is a plate on BOTH the Port & Starboard side of the companionway or just on the Starboard side? I have a 1990 H-33.5 and have rope clutched mounted on the Starboard side, so I know that has a plate. I just wasn't sure about the Port Side.

Jul 8, 2004
I found an embedded plate on the port side...there was already a deck organizer installed on the stbd side. I found a plate on the port side for the clutches...there were alreadiy clutches mounted on the stbd side.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2012
The job was done today. There were aluminum plates impedded in the deck for the deck organizer opposing the factory installed starboard one and for the rope clutch on the port side of the companionway.
Thanks for the help. The job went very smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.