Adding hi-temp alarm to 88 C30

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
On my 88, the coolant thermostat housing only has one port for a sensor probe. Catalina Direct sells a replacement thermostat housing with 2 ports and a high temp switch fir $265 but the switch is just $55.
I am wondering if anyone has tried drilling and tapping a new port for the switch in to the original housing. I have a drill press and taps.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I used an RS11 from noland engineering. About $300. But now I get oil pressure, water. Temp, rpm, fuel, on my chart plotter or i70. Best part I get visual and audio alarm if values are outside limits I set

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If your engine heats a domestic hot water tank, install a temperature sensor in the engine coolant outlet line. Watch the sensor ground line as the sensor will be surrounded by rubber.

DSC01509R.JPG

If your engine does not heat a hot water tank .................................. you may be coughing up $265.00 for a new housing with dual ports.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have been doing some research on drilling and tapping cast iron. It looks like I might need to change the angle on my drill bit to 135º but with low speed and oil I should be able to drill a new port and then tap threads into the hole. I might want to do this during the off season so that if it goes pie shaped, I will have time to write that $265 check!

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Two questions...
Why not add a temp sensor to the exhaust elbow?
What is an rs 11?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The RS11 is an analog to NMEA 2000 converter. It puts engine sensors values on the network so they can be viewed on a chart plotter or similar.

Mahalo

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Temp gauge would be good and added a temp gauge by putting tee in hoses going int to thermostat and been on my boat many years and very accurate and gives you what temp your system is
pretty cheap to do get gauge sensor and wire to cockpit.
Nick

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
On my 88, the coolant thermostat housing only has one port for a sensor probe. Catalina Direct sells a replacement thermostat housing with 2 ports and a high temp switch fir $265 but the switch is just $55.
I am wondering if anyone has tried drilling and tapping a new port for the switch in to the original housing. I have a drill press and taps.
I don't know of you ever added the temp switch, but the cap isn't cast iron, and it's very eazy peazy to do. Just drill and tap a 1/8" NPT about 2 o'clock on the flat on the cap. BTW, the special terminal end for the temperature switch is called a female Packard 56 connector and is spring-loaded terminal. You can find them online inquantitys, or an auto alternator rebuild shop will have them. The plastic holder won't have the slot necessary to slip past the terminal on the temp switch, but you can grind a slot w/ a dremel. It is the same Packard 56 female connector that's on the Field Excite wire on the stock 51 amp Motorola alternator on the M-25s, XPs, etc.