Adding extra Gas tanks

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I am planning a trip soon from the Channel Islands harbor (Oxnard Ca) to Santa Barbara Island, Catalina Island then home to Oceanside Ca.. I am very cautious about how much fuel I will need . If all go's well and we make the 60+Knm to Catalina and am able to refuel great , if not I will need to make sure I have enough gas for close to 100knm to get back to the mainland .
I have been carrying 1 6 gallon and 2 3 gallon marine tanks which only adds up to around 10 gallons because you can't use all the gas in a marine tank. The other issue is where to put those tanks. They have been stored in the back of the cockpit at my feet which is not great.
My solution so far is to keep the 6 gallon in the lazurite and add 2 3 gallon Rotopax jerry bottles to the back inside of the stern and bolt them in place with their system.
This will give me 110knm of range if we have to motor the whole way. Knowing this area though I don't think that's going to happen.
One issue may be the mounting plate that comes with it is painted steel so I may make a new one out of Stainless steel later.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Can you lash an extra can around each side of the lower shroud chainplates?

Mar 2, 2018
That was the first place I had in mind.No there isn't enough room there.Plus I put my surfboards there. These Rotopax will work out great in the back of the cockpit.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Personally i would keep any fuel storage off the deck. You never know when bad things happen and they get knocked or washed overboard (CA has some environmental laws that might be a problem dealing with). But also fire risk. and ugly to boot. I have a 6 gal tank in the port-side aft locker and a 1-gal reserve securely stored in a large plastic tub in the same locker . Keeps it nice and safe (acts as a bund containment), handy to the main tank, no issues with fumes down below, etc. But just a question mate - why so much fuel ? I gather the wind gods are favourable on at least one of the legs to run under sail ? You can always motor sail as well to preserve the precious fuel supply.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'd do it just the way you're doing it. Those Rotopax are dead sexy. :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your fuel consumption data? And what's a Knm?

Mar 2, 2018
Being super conservative on fuel I always plan a trip based on having to motor the whole way. Knowing this area pretty well that probably won't happen but it can so having extra gas is important to me. My 6 hp Tohatsu gets about 1/2 gallon per hour going 5 knots.
The next trip will be to Baja where gas is an issue so lot's of range will be important