Adding a solar vent or small vent hatch?

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Hey everyone, it was a very poor summer for boating on the North Coast but we are out, winterized, covered and looking forward to spring. It also looks like I will be going a different direction, probably doing a lot of solo sailing as the Admiral didn't fair well the last time we were out and got blown off the lake. But that is another story for another time.
Our H27-3 really needs some additional ventilation. For those not familiar with this model, there is a round hatch over the v-berth, one small opening hatch in the head and over the hanging locker in the aft cabin and a rectangular hatch in the aft cabin that is under the starboard cockpit seat(the only one that can be left cracked, the others will allow rain in). I was thinking of adding a solar powered vent or a small vent hatch, maybe 6" or 8" square, that I could leave cracked when not at the boat and open when on board. It appears that there is a liner in the overhead with a space between the actual coach roof and overhead in the cabin.
First question is has anyone added a vent or hatch to your h27-3? Any tips?
Second question, assuming the answer to #1 is no, is there a better way to do the project other than choosing a random spot and start cutting holes?
Third question, is there a better answer to venting the boat than a solar vent or vent hatch?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have had solar vent in my vee berth hatch for many years and easy to cut round hole in hatch.
Nick

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
We have a Nicro solar day/night vent in our v-berth. The last couple have started making lots of noise at about 2 years of age. It is loud enough that I usually turn it off at night when we go to bed. While any positive ventilation has to be better than none, I am not sure they are all that effective.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
i got my solar night day when on sale with warranty and yes they may only last 3 years

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
I have had solar vent in my vee berth hatch for many years and easy to cut round hole in hatch.
Nick
Putting the vent in the forward hatch was my first choice, however the design of the hatch does not appear to lend itself to that plan. There is a strut that holds the hatch up when open, it goes across the center of the hatch and has a mechanism that turns and tightens/loosens to hold the hatch in place(hard to describe). When the hatch is fully closed that mechanism/strut is almost touching the inside of the hatch glass. The vent would have to be flush with the inside of the glass to clear that strut.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Craig. Here is a slick item for venting. Low and nearly flat on the deck. Air only in water kept out.
post-43819-0-74253400-1463763014.jpg

7583447582_8354c4da96.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes John, inquiring minds want to know.
Our Hunter came with a solar vent on the v-berth hatch. Not sure how old it is. It's a little noisy now. I really don't know how much benefit we get from it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Originally saw them on a European built Hallberg-Rassy 55. Thought they were cool. Have not yet been able to install. On our priority list. Will let you know when I finish the install.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would look around for more and the good thing is no moving parts to go wrong,my solar vents always go bad after a few years.
Nick

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Their website and my computer don't seem to like each other much. I did a Google search which turned up an eBay listing for them, $65 US plus $20 shipping to the U.S. That seems pretty reasonable to me. It appears that they have a photo of the vent installed in a hatch and the underside is flush, I just can't get a very good look at the photo.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Really need venting with one drawing in air and one with air out,the vee berth solar vent in hatch draws air out and do have dorad on the deck sucks air in.
Yes here in Florida I also run small dehumidifier drains out sink and 2 fans help circulating
the air in the very hot months.
Nick

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Their website and my computer don't seem to like each other much. I did a Google search which turned up an eBay listing for them, $65 US plus $20 shipping to the U.S. That seems pretty reasonable to me. It appears that they have a photo of the vent installed in a hatch and the underside is flush, I just can't get a very good look at the photo.

Thanks!
You can get a passive vent here:
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?4917
with stainless cover if needed.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Solar vents vary in both price & quality. High price does not always mean high quality nor long life.

It is best to have both a solar vent & a scoop vent, for use in different conditions. Unfortunately, these vents don't all use the same size hole, so you either need to find 2 that match, or else have an adapter fabricated by some guy with a lathe.

My solar vent is cut right into my hatch. The down side to this location is that it blocks sunlight from getting into the cabin during the day.

In rough seas, I replace the vent with a water-tight plug.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have solar vent in bow hatch for many many years and have never worried about water coming in and it can be pushed closed
to stop air going out and no water in .
You would be surprised at how much sun comes in and have sunbrella cover on hatch to try keeping sun out here in hot sunny Fl. and take the covers off for plenty of sun light when cooler here.
I have had solar vent in since boat was new 2007 and really like
them but they last about 3 or 4 year,s beforereplacing them,may change to non solar next time they go bad.
Nick

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
The issue with any of the vents including the one sold here is the clearance when mounting it to the bow hatch. As I said in an early post here, the hatch design has a strut that holds the hatch up when open. When the hatch is closed and locked (sealed from rain intrusion) there is less than 1/2" clearance between that strut and the underside of the hatch. Anything that protrudes would make it a knuckle skinner. The vent from Europe is a possibility, just difficult to get but not off the list at this point.