Adding a head to Hunter 260

Nov 17, 2018
Hunter 260 Sarasota, FL
We're purchasing a 2003 Hunter 260 water ballasted sailboat in FL and want to add a head with a holding tank. Owners manual says you can use a 13 gallon holding tank. I'm considering using fresh water supply from 20 gal water supply to eliminate odors using salt water (in Florida). Has anyone done this? Pros and cons?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress is the best source for answers to your questions.
Indeed! Peggy will provide you with the full story. But the short answer is: Go with something like a Thetford 550P MSD porta potty. That's what I'm using in my Ericson 26-2 (at her recommendation) and it's perfect.
The "MSD" version means it is plumbed so you can discharge overboard (where legal) and/or hook it up for a deck pump out. The effective capacity of the porta potty will far exceed the 13 gallon tank of which Hunter speaks, due to the fact that the porta potty uses so little flush water. The reservoir for flushing will also use fresh water as well. Really, it checks all the boxes for what you need. Additionally, the thing is so simple that there is none of the maintenance you'd have with a conventional head.
The only caveat with the Thetford 550P is that the mounting brackets are on the flimsy side. On mine I had a friend fabricate a metal bracket and it's now very solidly held in place.
Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018
Hunter 260 Sarasota, FL
These porta pottys look like you have physically pick them up and walk them outside and dump them somewhere, versus having a company pump it out. (Can't discharge overboard n FL unless you're 3 miles off shore.) I have no idea what a deck pump out is.

Nov 22, 2011
These porta pottys look like you have physically pick them up and walk them outside and dump them somewhere, versus having a company pump it out. (Can't discharge overboard n FL unless you're 3 miles off shore.) I have no idea what a deck pump out is.
By "deck pump out" I'm referring to having a deck plate into which you insert the vacuum hose so that you can have either a company come by and pump it out or go to a dock that has a pump where you can do it yourself. (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--waste-deck-plate-for-hose--6592992?recordNum=6) It's not one bit different from what you would do with a conventional holding tank/head arrangement. With the MSD porta potty you simply have the head and the holding tank in a single unit vs. separating them.

While it is possible for me to remove the porta potty from my boat, I never do so. In my case, I discharge 3 miles out, where it is legal to do so. But I could also use a dockside pump out if I wanted to.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
You would have a deck pump out with a 'regular' head also, the MSD is a better option unless you want less capacity and more cost.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
On any boat much smaller than about 28', a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty-- makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie

Yes, you'd also need a deck pumpout fitting...previous posters have shown you what that is. If you also want to be able to dump the tank at sea , you'd add a y-valve and a pump. However, your questions indicate that adding that is a bit further up your learning curve.

--Peggie

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Just want to add our MSD experience on our ‘77 h27 backs up everything Peggie says. Pump-out is exactly like a holding tank (but quicker - no flush water.) Most Pump-out facilities have a fresh water hose that allows easy rinsing. And the Admiral and I have gone 5 days between pump-outs.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I believe the holding tank was a 20 gallon. @Kermit or others with marine heads, please advise on holding tank and the specific brand name marine head. Installed some on the 260 as a dealer. Peggy has a point but some preferred the permanent style. Feel free to contact me. It has been a long time as I am retired. Suggest putting questions under small boats as you will get more responses from 26/260 owners

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I don’t know the size of my tank. It’s tucked way out of the way in the vast far reaches of the very far away back of the boat. In other words, it’s not taking up any useable space that I might otherwise want to use. That being said, if I were to install a new system from scratch I’d do exactly what Peggie suggests.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy has a point but some preferred the permanent style.
I know...<sigh>...they want a "real" marine toilet. So they'll spend at least $500 for a toilet that needs a lot of maintenance, a tank barely large enough to last two people overnight, at least one below-waterline thru-hull and seacock (flush water intake), hose that will start to stink in a year or less, plus the cost to install it all AND the loss of at least 30% of the boat's storage space.
"A wise person learns from his mistakes;...a wiser person learns from the mistakes of others" (plus it costs him a lot less!).

--Peggie

Nov 22, 2011
I know...<sigh>...they want a "real" marine toilet. So they'll spend at least $500 for a toilet that needs a lot of maintenance, a tank barely large enough to last two people overnight, at least one below-waterline thru-hull and seacock (flush water intake), hose that will start to stink in a year or less, plus the cost to install it all AND the loss of at least 30% of the boat's storage space.
"A wise person learns from his mistakes;...a wiser person learns from the mistakes of others" (plus it costs him a lot less!).

--Peggie
FWIW, I'll attest to the truth of what you are saying--at least in my limited experience.

My previous boat was a Catalina 30, which sported a factory installed holding tank of about 14-15 gals. and a Groco head. It worked well enough but ate up storage and required regular, though not especially frequent, maintenance. My Thetford 550P requires zero maintenance and I can go a few days longer between pump outs on my solo trips to Catalina Island. I have it plumbed for overboard discharge through a macerator and it works very well. Plus, the storage space under the vee berth that originally had a (smelly) bladder tank is now available for storage. I've seen no downside to this installation at all.

I think some people just can't get past the "porta potty" moniker. But in terms of functionality you can't beat an MSD type of porta potty, except on a much larger boat where you can go with a 25-30 gallon or larger tank.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Peggy

I know the boat better than most. Refer back to my earlier post. I did not argue with your comments but some wanted a fixed head. The holding tank is in an area that generally is not easily accessible and out of the way. Secondly both of us on this forum have addressed the stinking problem for example you suggested tablets to flush into the line while I said old sailors to include mfgs. advised using white vinegar only. As for the holding tank when emptied to put deodorant into that tank.

I have recommended what you suggested putting more on than permanent marine heads. However, it is up to the customer what he wants. In addition I know the Hunter 260 too well and one factor for any Head was room with everything out of the way

The tank if I recall was a 20 gallon tank and on a trip at least had more space in that tank

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Secondly both of us on this forum have addressed the stinking problem for example you suggested tablets to flush into the line
I think you've confused my advice with someone else's, Dave...I have never recommended using any "tablets" in hoses. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent flex PVC hoses (which is what all production boat builders use) from becoming permeated with odor. I have always recommended flushing a cupful of distilled white vinegar through the system once every week or two to prevent sea water mineral buildup, but it won't prevent or cure odor.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
When we were considering a factory new boat in the 30-40 ' range I was only planning the single head and to add an MSD after delivery. Saved some money and to me provided a self contained simplified backup.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Peggy
Long ago we disagreed on the white vinegar and you said I thought of something like tablets I think but it was something in lieu of White Vinegar like the old timers use to tell me. I am not going to look back in the archives but it is up to the customer what they want to do. If going into Canadian waters, a standard Port Poti is forbidden. Some folks do not want to think of emptying the mush for better lack of terms in the crapper. It was their decision which way to go. Howeever, I stand by the old timers.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Very familiar with that having installed some either being sold into Canada or being sailed in Canadian waters with a U S home port.

Sep 15, 2018
Hunter H240 Richmond
How do you fit a Thetford 550 MSD under the vberth of a Hunter 260? My vertical height on the Hunter 240 is only 13.5". Is the 260 much bigger?