Actual depth of 1990 C-36

Apr 2, 2007
-Catalina C-36 Hull 1041 & Marshall 18 Catboat - W2CWL Punta Gorda, FL
I am trying to find out the depth of a 1990 Catalina before taking it to survey and I wonder if anyone can help.

The broker says the keel depth is a desired 4' 5" (he thinks) but I can't find any information that says that a shallow draft keel was offered in that year. All Data I can find says all keels were over 5 feet in depth.

Were there shallow keels made in 1990 ?
If not - when did shallow keels become available ?
What is the standard keel depth vs. the shallow keel depth OR were all Catalina 36's made in 1990 the deeper keels. Can't seem to find that info anywhere.
Thanks,
Bill

May 8, 2012
Bill,

The C36 comes in two keel configurations: fin keel and wing keel. The wing keel is the shallow draft version at 4'5" or so. If the boat is listed as a wing keel then it is a shallow draft.

Apr 2, 2007
Allez Yukon;
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I thought that might be the case but could not find any positive information stating the specs - beyond what the broker was stating. The boat is not listed as a wing keel just a depth of 4.5 feet and in my sailing area (SW-FL) one pays a dear price for deeper keel boats in as much as there is very thin water around and many places one can not go. Hence, storage becomes a problem. we have lots of water it's just not very deep.
Fair winds,
Bill

Apr 2, 2007

WOW Rich......that is what is confusing to me ?:dance: I'm guessing the only real way to do it is to take it to survey....and measure it for real.

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
Bill,
I have an '87 in that last link, the wing keel. The draft is 4'-2" as indicated. Many of these come with the the "tall riig" option that makes for a nice boat.

Apr 2, 2007
Thanks all for your responses; As it turned out the 1990 C-36 was a wing keel and measured to 4'7" during survey. (Of course when shopping and the boat is in the water - you only have the seller's word until you lift it out of the water)

It was in great shape and I am now the proud owner of Hull # 1041, made in December 1990 with a walk through and M-35 engine.

Thanks for your help