Access to Racor filter on 9.2A

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
Hi all - I am curious how people get to their Racor filter. On our 9.2A, the filter is mounted at the bottom of the starboard cockpit locker. I can't get my fat bottom to squeeze comfortably into the space to access the filter. Am I missing something obvious re: access?

Barring a diet, I am thinking I just need to bite the bullet and pay the yard to drain and replace the filter as part of going back into the water.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
why not relocate it higher up or forward so you can access it from the front when you open up the engine box

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
Woodster, that's definitely a possibility, but would that require a pump between the fuel tank and the filter to account for the head height? I get the impression that it's current location is to take advantage of a gravity feed. I have no real experience with fuel systems, so I'm not sure what would be required to move it.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
It should be ok i moved mine and have no problems with it. you would be surprised at how much work those little pumps can do

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
Spent some quality time with the mechanic at the yard today and learned how to actually get to the filter. He was incredibly helpful - basically he served as tutor for all things engine-related. (e.g. I'd never changed a secondary fuel filter and wasn't clear on the bleeding process). Great news is I can probably keep the filter where it is now and I have the added benefit of knowing my engine had a thorough once-over by an experienced mechanic.