About to drop cash on a new mainsail, advice please.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Don't feel bad, we had our sail shortened too and I tend to come in last as well. But I attribute it more to that quick stop by the dock store during the race to pickup more beer for after the races that causes me to finish last LOL!

Sam
A bigger boat will allow you to skip that particular pit stop. I'm sure Cindy will agree.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
A bigger boat will allow you to skip that particular pit stop. I'm sure Cindy will agree.
You keep quite frog! We are going to look at a First 230. Small, nible, and enclosed head. Everyone will be happy.

Sam

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
You keep quite frog! We are going to look at a First 230. Small, nible, and enclosed head. Everyone will be happy.

Sam
Nible? Is that nubile, nibble or nimble? I'm thinking with Cindy onboard it's the first and second. But lots of the second.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Has anyone here tried Sail Care; sailcare.com ? They use what's called LeMauney Process. I'm thinking of giving them a try. Dgreen my 94" H26 has the same problem. Sail Care has a re-resining process of impregnating the cloth with resins. Sounds interesting to me. Sails are supposed to come out almost like new for a fraction of the cost. And they will do repairs, like fixing the bolt rope.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Nible? Is that nubile, nibble or nimble? I'm thinking with Cindy onboard it's the first and second. But lots of the second.
You knew what meant but yes there would be a lot of the second as well.

Sam

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Yes, i have sent a sail from a Hunter 212 to Sailcare. It needed cleaned and some re stitching. I was amazed by how it looked when it returned. It was well worth the money.

Sam

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Is math different south of the border? When did "4 foot itis" get downgraded?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I may be crazy but I darn sure am staying out of the "4 foot it is" or larger boat. Just call me Crazy Dave but will let Kermit take the heat on that one. You know what a gigging fork folks is?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I havent been on a good old frog giggin party for a long time. Basically its just a reason to go out drinking in the middle of a night swatting skeeters while you scan the bank with a flashlight looking for the reflection from the eyes of Kermits cousins. Sneak in as close as you can get and gig em!

Sam

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Excellent.
The ol' frog is taking a bashing this week. His voice got fired, we heard on the news last night.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We have used Sail Care twice and both times the sails came back looking like brand new sails....all stitching was
repaired and their quote was very reasonable.....they will give you an accurate estimate before they do their work.
Ford City, Pa. (I think).....Patrick

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Meriachee
Mr. Frog realizes all the kidding and laughs just like me when someone misspells my last name with a m vs. n.
It is nice that most of us have a funny side to include you and flyinhigh4u

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Meriachee
Mr. Frog realizes all the kidding and laughs just like me when someone misspells my last name with a m vs. n.
It is nice that most of us have a funny side to include you and flyinhigh4u
That would be flynhi4u Dave LOL!!!!

Sam

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
There was a question earlier about Asian lofts quality.... I bought a Asymmetric Tri-Radial for my C36 mail order and am very happy with it (HKSailmakers.com). Chute, Bag, Sock, Customs, & Shipping were under $1500 - and the thing is almost 1000 sqft. Order in the winter, and prices are less. It took less than a month from finalization to having it in my hands.

Les

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Read earlier that you'll probably order this winter for the better pricing, so, if that hasn't changed, here are a few thoughts:

Maybe not the original sail? If the boom is drooping, while it may be due to stretching of the sail cloth, it may also be due to the sail not being the original sail. It is possible that the previous owner bought a used sail and it almost fits. There may be some tell-tail signs such as the sail bag markings (although the original sail bag could be reused), spreader wear points on the sail (if it came from a different rig, a sailmaker could probably spot any wear because they know what to look for). It was mentioned earlier that the bolt rope shrinks so if that seems loose and the head of the sail is all the way up, that could be an indication, especially if combined with spreader wear points.

Heavier sail cloth: For the new sail, the sailmaker will come up with a cloth weight based on the sail measurements. However; if the recommended cloth weight is anywhere near the breakpoint for the next heaver cloth, consider getting the heavier one because it'll not get blown out so readily. The incremental cost for the heavier cloth is not a whole lot more.

Draft stripe: Recommend they add one because with a picture looking up the sail the sailmaker can put it on his computer and tell if the shape is good or not. If considering a recut at all, it would be handy on the current sail, and jib. If the sail draft isn't too bad, maybe just have a flattening reef put in and that would take up the slack on the foot of the sail. To raise the boom end, just a single reef point at the clew end however high it's needed and that would be far and away the cheapest way to go, maybe not even need to get a new sail if everything else is okay.

Topping lift: In light wind the topping lift can be used to loosen up the leach to improve sail trim. Without it, the leach can be drawn straight and not provide a good shape. Handy if there isn't a solid vang.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I like to have my boat on the trailer in the back yard when I'm not on the water.
I agree with everything you just said. Water ballast has so many advantages, I don't understand why it isn't in production any longer. You lose some headroom, but we never feel cramped. I'm always thankful of leaving that 1000lbs of dead weight at the ramp when I start back up that hill.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Check that your mainsail is hoisted all the way up. Most sails sag when they are cleated because the tension is released. Try to keep the tension on the main halyard as you cleat. A ratcheting block on deck or below the cleat helps immensely on sails that are not winched up. Run the halyard down to the block and up around the top of the cleat then pull and cleat.