A vacuum for a boat

Mar 13, 2015
Hunter 37.5 Cambridge Maryland
My wife and I have a 37.5 hunter sailboat, we are looking for a compact vacuum not sure whether it should be 110 V, 12 V or one with the rechargeable battery. What is everyone's opinion on which one to get and which one they like the most. Not looking to drain the kitty on a vacuum but yet want to buy something decent for the price. Thanks

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
we have a dewalt cordless...2 gallon....works great.....we had the smaller dewalt vacuum first but wasnt enough power to suck up sand.....the next size up works great

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Buy the cordless Dyson... there are a few versions that range from about $299 to $499. Buy the best one you can afford, seriously.
Dyson Vacs are one good example of 'you get what you pay for'. They are very powerful, have a long lasting battery, come with various attachments, but in a compact package that fits well on a boat.
I've owned a Dyson Ball Upright Vac for my house (I have a dog), and its 10 years old and still powerful as all get out. I paid $500 for it, but its worth every penny and has lasted this long, in the same period I probably would have spent $1000 on having to replace crappy units that break after 2 years at $199 a piece.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We have 2 vacs. A little 2 gallon shop vac we use at the dock and while working on the boat. Good for sucking up water out of the bilge. Last year we bought a Wet/dry Black and Decker Dustbuster with a lithium battery. It works well enough for cleaning up small spills and we don't have to worry about sucking small amounts of water. Also seems to hold a charge fairly well.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
For the boat I have Ryobi 18V one plus drill, impact, vacuum and trim router. Using common batteries keeps costs down. Next is a multi-tool so I can keep my Fien at home

Les

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I just went through this dilemma, coincidentally.
I tried the battery portables. Useless.
I remembered using my moms vac for the boat when it was in Annapolis and the vac was excellent. So I asked her last month what model it was.
An Oreck 110v Pro 5. Very small, light, and has all the attachments you need for a boat and car, plus a floor wand for maybe a small apartment.
And it'll suck a marble through a straw. Instantly removes everything not bolted down or stuck on. Did my cabin sole and inder its hatches, bilge (no water), cushions, cabinets, and dusted the wood.
And it's $110 including shipping.
image.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For the boat I have Ryobi 18V one plus drill, impact, vacuum and trim router. Using common batteries keeps costs down. Next is a multi-tool so I can keep my Fien at home
Les, I like this idea of a small shop vac based on the cordless tools we use. Off to shop for an addition to the tool chest. Remember, any job that needs a new tool is a job worth doing!

I just went through this dilemma, coincidentally.
I tried the battery portables. Useless.
I remembered using my moms vac for the boat when it was in Annapolis and the vac was excellent. So I asked her last month what model it was.
An Oreck 110v Pro 5. Very small, light, and has all the attachments you need for a boat and car, plus a floor wand for maybe a small apartment.
And it'll suck a marble through a straw. Instantly removes everything not bolted down or stuck on. Did my cabin sole and inder its hatches, bilge (no water), cushions, cabinets, and dusted the wood.
And it's $110 including shipping.
We have an earlier model, they suck, which is a good thing! We use one around the house, the only drawbacks are a very small bag that can only be bought from Oreck and it requires 110. However, if you have a large enough inverter, that won't be an issue.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We've always used a 110 Oreck portable with a few attachments. Usually we vacuumed on shore power. I wasn't
a fan of using the inverter but for a quick cleanup it was fine. Or we always have a sweep and dust pan on board.
Shop vac would be nice but they are a pain to use because they fall over all the time and take up too much room.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
We have an earlier model, they suck, which is a good thing! We use one around the house, the only drawbacks are a very small bag that can only be bought from Oreck and it requires 110. However, if you have a large enough inverter, that won't be an issue.
The vac came loaded with one bag, plus it included 1 extra.
And I ordered a package of 12 with the vac for $4.
14 bags will last many years, using just for 30ft boat and 2 cars.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Also have small 110 shop vac at dock and some times keep on boat
but use a 18 volt Roby vac and drill and flash light all my portable
tools use the same 18 volt batteries.
Nick

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I got the cheapest vacuum, free with a Makita drill. I bought a 12VDC right angle drill (to leave on the boat) from a supplier, and the the vacuum was included. I had no idea and wasn't looking for a vacuum. And this little vacuum would have no use anywhere but my boat. Handy though, holds a charge long term, pretty good suction, and small to store. Bagless, you clean it often(not a shop vac!)

I've since seen specials like this. In fact, Makita has a larger 18VDC vacuum now. So buy yourself a new drill,...and get a vacuum.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Generally a swifter with a 12v Dirt devil as backup.