A tale of two 309s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 320 Noank
I'm in the market for a 309, and looked at two last week in MA. I was hoping for some input from the 309 brain trust.

First boat: A 2007. The boat and engine seemed basically sound if a bit worn (knobs, for example, broken off the stove, and worn metal finishes). None of that is too concerning, but of more concern was that the boat was uncovered, and the electronics (very good ones) were also uncovered. Of even more concern was some brown staining around the inside of the portside large window. That suggests water entry, although I couldn't see any obvious causes. Thoughts? (There was also more water in the bilge on this boat than in any of the others I saw that day--all also uncovered.)

Second boat: A 2006. This boat had been hit by lightning and has had a large amount of work done to it: new electronics, electrical panel, all mast lights, new frig, new alternator, etc. This boat was super clean and 15k less than the other. I'm very very wary however, and have requested the insurance surveyor's report. I'm concerned about the damage that will show up only later.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Any 309 other than the one I'm selling in Michigan will be a bad buy. In Muskegon, MI.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 320 Noank
Feel free to send details or post a link -- I'm obviously hoping to get something closer to home but am open-minded.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sometimes repairs after lightning actually IMPROVE the boat.

Condition, condition, condition. Sounds like the older boat is in better shape, and it's only one year older. We bought a 12 year old boat in 1998 and have sailed it for almost 15 years. Just some perspective.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 320 Noank
That's helpful Stu, thanks. I suppose I was worrying whether I should just "run away" from any lightning struck boat... talked to a respected surveyor about it and he noted that what lightning does or does not do to a boat really varies: from very little to a lot. Obviously a good survey would be even more important in this case. There is no question, though, that of the dozen or so sailboats I've looked at recently (including a very nice 310) this boat *looks* to be in the best condition--very well cared-for. Perhaps worth the risk.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Those words, "very well cared for" say it all. That's the boat you want!

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
I have a 2006 C309 that is outside in the water year around in Seattle where last night we had 60mph winds and heavy rain and WX says snow possible tomorrow and I have never had a leak on the windows or any place on the deck so that 2007 does not sound very good. Get a good survey and you should be OK if the repair work was done by a reputable firm. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.