A sticky question...

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Alot of good input. Everyone had their own way to do things right. Your not building a piano but you want it to look good and last.
A couple things. Don't depend on clamping pressure to close up your joint. You may get a nice looking joint just it will fail prematurely due to too being dry, too much squeeze out. Edge joint with a jointer or plane. At least use a couple biscuits for alignment. Being that that they will be thrown around, I'd use something that offered strength, at least dowels but recommend splines.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If the edge is not straight, you can clamp the board off the edge of a table with a straight edge running down the length of the board. Then run a router along the straight edge to true up the board edge. If you reverse the straight edge to correspond with the board edges, even if the straight edge is not straight, the boards will match. There is a formal jig for doing this, but a straight edge with clamps will work just fine.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
No one has said it yet so there is probably a good reason but have you considered faux wood products?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Any recommendations by y'all?
I had a B235 in a slip that had the companionway facing the sun for the most part. Instead of making nice, new boards, I made ONE board of plywood then covered in sheet aluminum. This board took the wear and tear, but I had the original boards for when on the water/anchor/ marina hopping.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The other advantage to plastic is that is doesn't swell up with changes in humidity. Yes, Teak looks really nice on a boat, but I bought the boat to sail it, not to work on it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Understood. My motor boat friends don't understand why I'm willing to work so hard to go boating. We all have our thing.