A serious question.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The most played non sailing song on my boat. (at anchor)

But then I also have this one on my playlist as well.
I have every recording Roger Whittaker ever made, in various formats. The Last Farewell is our favorite. We have a ritual of having this song accompany our cocktail hour on the evening before we sail on a cruise. He is a wonderful singer with many performances of maritime themes.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Yup, I like Sailing Away. Always have, but have to admit I hadn't heard it for a while. Like the melody, and the lyrics are OK, too. Nice, gentle, relaxing song.
Anyone here actually like "John B. Sails".
I like Sloop John B (formerly John B Sails when it was written in 1916), too, along with most of the Beach Boys songs that I can still probably sing by heart.

We used to play a bagpipes version of "Amazing Grace" as we were raising the sails. Something about it just stirred the soul. We got it from our first cruise with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises on Legacy.

I tend not to be too critical of songs. If I like the tune, or the lyrics in general, they stick with me. Sometimes, I like them despite some of the lyrics. Barracuda is one of my favorite songs, but the lyrics are are a little weird. Likewise for Clapton's "Cocaine". I like the song, despite the message. Life's a paradox...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
oooooh, Grand Funk Railroad! I still have that album. A favorite long before I ever became a sailor.
Yup, that's a good one. There really are a LOT of great albums from the sixties (before a lot of these folks were born, I suspect). Some Beach Boys, Hollies CSNYH, Hendrix, Three Dog Night, Roy Orbison, Steppenwolf, Boxtops...
Of course the 70's and 80's had some great bands, too. But, I'm afraid they have lost me in the new millennium. I just haven't seen the same proliferation of great bands or music in this 21st century.

Dec 29, 2008
So, Louie Louie is a good sailing song, but I could never make out the lyrics!
Kingsmen. One of the great mysteries of our time - the words to Louie Louie...

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach

Louie Louie, oh no, you take me where ya gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Louie Louie, oh baby, take me where ya gotta go
A fine little girl, she waits for me
Me catch the ship across the sea
Me sailed the ship all alone
Me never think I'll make it home
Louie Louie, oh no no no, me gotta go, oh no
Louie Louie, oh baby, me gotta go
Three nights and days I sailed the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship, I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair
Louie Louie, oh no, me gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Louie Louie, oh baby, me gotta go
Okay, let's give it to 'em right now
Me see
Me see…

& then there is the Iggy Pop cover with highly modified lyrics, referencing Dostoyevsky, politics, & his view of the world. It's a pretty big stretch from the original.

And now the news
Louie Louie
Oh baby I gotta go
Louie Louie
Oh baby I gotta go
The communist world is fallin' apart
The capitalists are just breakin' hearts
Money is the reason to be
It makes me just want to sing Louie Louie
Louie Louie
Oh baby I gotta go
Louie Louie