A serious question.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Poor ole Al must have been married to my ex-wife. I actually told our pastor something similar to that during counseling.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Not just a breakup song. It's a divorce song. I'll never understand women.
Maybe @flynhi4u can explain them.
If I could explain women I would be richer than Bill Gates. Not saying I haven't learned a lot about them, but one of thing the most important things I have learned is that I have so much more to learn!!!

Sam

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
...one of thing the most important things I have learned is that I have so much more to learn!!!
Sam
About the only thing I know for sure is that once you think you've got them figured out they change the rules.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Wow! Best hour I've spent indoors ina long time.
Thanks for all the great tunes and bring on some more.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
That song has been driven into the ground to me, simply because almost everyone I know sends me that song, saying, "Simon, found this song on the internet and thought of you." Look, I'm a sailor, yeah, but that doesn't automatically make me a Chris Cross fan! I personally prefer to play reggae while I'm cruising the channel or bay; it gives off a really relaxed and sort of beach vibe. When racing with friends, Pirates of the Caribbean comes on. It's required.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Wow 77 posts before we find a song that even mentions the word "Sail" from this decade! Nice one @Bad Obsession. However no list of sailing songs is complete without something by Eric Stone.

Not quite of this decade, but I keep thinking of The Ship Song by Nick Cave, the godfather of goth. Am I the only one here who was ever a punk and goth fan? It really has nothing to do with sailing, but it’s a great song.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Am I the only one here who was ever a punk and goth fan?
[/QUOTE]

999 and the Violent Femmes are my jam. o_O

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Thanks rgranger...... I needed those songs to break the "Sailing" grip.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
While looking for some favorite sailing songs... YouTube recommended the following sailing videos. Some of these are really great

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
And it's only November. What will January bring? Cat songs?
BTW do like "sailing" as I do not really hear it while actually sailing. Rather hear the sound of my wake and the birds on the nav aids. Just background noise.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
...Rather hear the sound of my wake and the birds on the nav aids. Just background noise.
I’m with you on this. We have a nice stereo with speakers in the cockpit. I’d much rather listen to the sound of the wind and the waves.

I had planned to be on the lake during the total solar eclipse. My thought was to play Gustav Holst’s “Mars” in the minutes leading up to and during totality. One day I turned it on at the dock. I immediately decided that worrying about music would detract from what nature was providing. In the end we stayed home and watched it in our backyard with a few friends. Incredibly good move.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I missed this thread the first time around. I was a big fan of Micheal Omartian long before Christopher Cross came on the scene. He is an incredible musician and producer. Some of his earlier work with Steely Dan is incredible. I never got sick of Sailing when it came out. The way the introduction captures the mood of cruising along is a more accurate representation than anyone else has been able to do musically. It was only last year when I finally had a bluetooth speaker on the boat. I played Sailing as the first song I wanted to listen to while out on the water. We were cruising at about 4-5 knots. It was a perfect match to the speed of the boat. My kids even put up with it.