A real Shackleton experience

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Every November after our official race season ends, our club sponsors an informal race series - over to a bar at the other side of the lake every Sunday. Called the Shackleton cup, the winner is the boat that does it the most number of times in November. BlueJ has won this every year we’ve been at the club except for one when we were sailing in Greece. The second aspect of the prize is the boat that stays in the longest. I have no interest at all in winning this one; that usually is won by the event organizer who keeps a small O’day Daysailor at the club. Our November has been cold and below freezing every day except two, causing most boats to pull out early. He was planning on pulling the boat out today. Yesterday found 2 1/2+ inches of ice surrounding the boat and all efforts to free it failed. So he’s resigned himself to be a true Shackleton this winter.

9E00A8F5-A779-4328-97FA-96664A88E74F.jpeg

Nov 8, 2010
When I read the title, I was expecting some extraordinary navigational feat...
More of a blunder.

While our club encourages boats to stay in, at some point the BoD and the Club Manager start to wonder when enough is enough. The prospect of someone getting hurt while chipping their boat through ice is enough to give the club's legal person heartburn. Hope this does not 'chill' them on the event!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Does the ice get thick enough to become a grumpy old man? We can't ice fish in these parts. When we do get ice you wouldn't dare try to walk on it.

Ken

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Even though we still get random nice weather, most everyone has hauled out so as not to get trapped by a freeze.

I read Shackleton's story a few years back. What an example of endurance! If you haven't read it, put it on your winter reading list. It was so cold in the story that it will make what we're experiencing now seem like springtime.

Nov 8, 2010
Does the ice get thick enough to become a grumpy old man? We can't ice fish in these parts. When we do get ice you wouldn't dare try to walk on it.

Ken
It will often go well over 3 feet. When it does this, the power augers ice fisherman use to drill holes will not make it through before bottoming out. THEN you have grumpy old men. Here it was on May 1st, last year. Down to only 17 inches. That was gone in a week!

lake-minnetonka-measuring-ice-out.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
I take it "bubblers" don't work there. Brrrrr
The do. If you look at the end of the dock structure, you can see open water created by a bubbler (actually a prop) that protects the docks from ice heaves. Just not everywhere.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The do. If you look at the end of the dock structure, you can see open water created by a bubbler (actually a prop) that protects the docks from ice heaves. Just not everywhere.
Well that's comforting to know. We got one with the purchase of Bella. I'v never used it but almost thought we would have to this year. If it works there, it should do well in our slip.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You guys do know that the ice crushed Shackleton’s ship and sent it to the bottom...while the crew watched over a steaming plate of stewed sled dog, don’t you?

I’m dangerously close to keeping the boat in the water too long this year. Last time I did this the skim ice on the bay did a number on my boot stripe. At least I didn’t have to eat the dog.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Looks as though your marina is in a part of the Great Salt Lake where the water has receded and left only salt. That must be a bit of a pain.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You guys do know that the ice crushed Shackleton’s ship and sent it to the bottom...while the crew watched over a steaming plate of stewed sled dog, don’t you?

I’m dangerously close to keeping the boat in the water too long this year. Last time I did this the skim ice on the bay did a number on my boot stripe. At least I didn’t have to eat the dog.
That's because he didn't have a bubbler ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Looks as though your marina is in a part of the Great Salt Lake where the water has receded and left only salt. That must be a bit of a pain.
That was actually the first snow of the year, which started falling at noon. While the month has been unseasonably cold, the lack of snow can lull you into thinking the water was OK for boats. But the lake had inverted, so ready freeze any day. Dangerous to stay on the water when the water temp is 39F or below.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
With this as the next week's forecast, yeah, it is going to be frozen over soon.

fc.jpg

Time to hunker down here in MN for a few months. We are planning a trip to FL in February. The club also has a NorthU seminar in Feb as well so that will get the sailing stuff started. After Valentine's Day, we start thinking spring.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Here in south Louisiana, I have seen ice thick enough to walk on only twice in my 70 years.. once in 1964 and once in 1989.. It is of some concern when we have weather that cold here.. We had a 31F freeze here last weekend, but today it is about 70.. I remember chopping ice from the pond next door at grandmaw's house in '64 so the cattle could drink..