A nice little milestone this weekend

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Heya all

we made it down to saugatuk and back in the pearson this weekend. 17kn winds when we started out 18nm. thankfully it calmed down a bit on the way in, and ended up coming into harbor very late so got a little experience docking in the night. I was soworried about dinging stuff up we came in at a knot and my crewmate barely had to do anything... just pick up the line and toss it on the cleat. Cleanest docking yet. Got seasick but i think its less the motion sickness and something i ate cause i'm still ill a few days later.

So that was pretty impactful... demonstrated the pearson can handle 5 ft swells and a fair amount of air ... and... it was my tenth sail. combined with the online classes i have been taking, this happened

upload_2018-8-20_8-45-48.png

onward and upward.

got to see a hylas 54 in person this weekend, transient next to me on the dock. wow thats a lot of boat. guy started in a pearson, like mine. it was super zen. sadly i couldn't talk him into a quick loop of macatawa in his boat, but he was on the odd side of the dock for such a giant boat. still an incredible machine.

so yeah. coming close to the end of the season. going to be bold and take a starlit cruise with the gf this weekend if the weather holds and take too more friends out on another trip to do some swimming this weekend too. Then time to start thinking about buttoning it all up and working on the motorcycle all winter :p

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
So you made to the Sagatuck and back, great trip in some challenging seas and winds, good for you. Lake Michigan and swimming? not for me to damn cold.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
my dst says the water was 78 degrees that day. chilly sure, but i've also done polar bear plunges in the boy scouts into frozen lakes so... all things being relative :D

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Heya all

we made it down to saugatuk and back in the pearson this weekend. 17kn winds when we started out 18nm. thankfully it calmed down a bit on the way in, and ended up coming into harbor very late so got a little experience docking in the night. I was soworried about dinging stuff up we came in at a knot and my crewmate barely had to do anything... just pick up the line and toss it on the cleat. Cleanest docking yet. Got seasick but i think its less the motion sickness and something i ate cause i'm still ill a few days later.

So that was pretty impactful... demonstrated the pearson can handle 5 ft swells and a fair amount of air ... and... it was my tenth sail. combined with the online classes i have been taking, this happened

View attachment 155247

onward and upward.

got to see a hylas 54 in person this weekend, transient next to me on the dock. wow thats a lot of boat. guy started in a pearson, like mine. it was super zen. sadly i couldn't talk him into a quick loop of macatawa in his boat, but he was on the odd side of the dock for such a giant boat. still an incredible machine.

so yeah. coming close to the end of the season. going to be bold and take a starlit cruise with the gf this weekend if the weather holds and take too more friends out on another trip to do some swimming this weekend too. Then time to start thinking about buttoning it all up and working on the motorcycle all winter :p
Good for you! I got my ICC via NauticEd and the RYA; I think they do a very decent job with their on-line coursework. So keep it up and keep on logging. And oh BTW no need to stop sailing just because it gets cooler. Just get better clothes! We sail here in Minnesota up to Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
out on lake michigan? i heard it gets very rough towards the end of sept. I dont know if i want to challenge it too much

This weekend we were beating up 5 ft swells, on the way back, every third wave breaking over the bow. We faught it for 3 hours to get it home, having only taken an hour to get there. getting there broad reach 17kn, main only, 20 degree heel with a bit of bobbing on the waves, 4-5 knots over ground, 6 and change water speed. lots of waves. anchored, got our shit together and then started coming back up. main only, again, but 13 knots. waves were bigger but less frequent. about 2 nm out we gave up and pushed it in with the motor. we were both starting to feel it - i personally got seasick for the first time in life in fact :p Novel thing, motion sickness. can tick that off the bucket list.

I did learn some about conditions and making sure just cause going one way seems 'safe enough' the conditions returning need to be considered. coupled with the fact that south the wind was west, and going back north it shifted so it was in our faces... ugh.

I know i'm installing jacklines ... working the main at the mast was absolutely hellish. :p the pfds i have are 'offshore' with the double large d rings. gotta figure out some straps to go to the jacklines.

Any thoughts on like, snapping yourself to the whiskerpole ring while working the mast? i was thinking that that might be nice... short 2 foot strap just to make sure you stay on the cabin top while winching.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'd focus on watching the weather and sailing in conditions that you and your crew feel comfortable in. Jacklines are not going to make working at the mast on your boat any less hellish when conditions are bad. If you can, do the majority of the work areas protected by the lee of land, or inside breakwalls. When you are any breeze with a westerly component to it will mean a long fetch and waves. I agree that fall can bring sporty weather conditions on the GLs, but not every day. Just look at the forecast and call your shots.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
is there a perfered method or suggestions on gettin the main up before going through the channel? we always have raised it out there. If its already up we can just keep running the motor until we're clear without causing any trouble, as long as i'm flying my black triangle or running the steaming light i presume.

I am guessing just sheet in the main nice and tight and start trimming it once we're out there?

the channel at holland is ... very very busy. i've been close enouh every time that if i spit over the side it'd hit someone. :p i always run on the starboard side so that people can over take me on the port, folks seem to want to use freeway style lanes where the fast lane is to the middle.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
is there a perfered method or suggestions on gettin the main up before going through the channel?

the channel at holland is ... very very busy. i've been close enouh every time that if i spit over the side it'd hit someone. :p
I would say "no" unless traffic conditions are pretty docile or there's a favorable wind direction to keep the boom centered.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Legit. Meaning I'm up the cabin top either leaving or coming back no.matter what.

Here's another question. How the hell do you flake the main in the boom if solo and no lazy jacks. Lol

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Firstly,
Congratulations on a successful sail. Planned, executed, all returned safely with sea stories. May it be the first of many.
You can raise your sail anywhere you feel comfortable. If it is at the dock and you can maneuver the boat out to where you want to go, why not. It is best to raise the sail with the boat pointed into the wind. But once up you can be motoring and sailing a the same time. You may need to watch the wind if it is astern as you may have speed/steering issues. Only do what you feel you can do and maintain control of the boat. No regulations about raising or lowering the sail that I have read.
Solo sailing is a whole new activity for a lot of folk. You can do it.
You might want to consider this when the water temps drop or your going to sail in cold rough water.
They make sailing dry suits (kind of gives you that chic Enterprise Voyager look so popular these days)

which can extend your life should the unthinkable happen and you go for an unplanned swim. I use one in our Pacific NW waters that rarely get above 55 in anything but the top 12 inches.​
Solo sailing will hone your sailing skills. You will learn new things about yourself and your boat. Like how do I dock this think if no one is ready to jump of and tie the lines.

For a tiller boat there is nothing like a "Tiller Clutch". https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=97674 Wish @Dave Groshong could add it to the shop. It is a great tool to use. Quick easy install and simple intuitive to use. Sits under the tiller right at your fingers.

Finally, Drop the sail. Wrap a couple of quick clip ties around the sail to keep it in place and return to the cockpit. You can make the sale neat after you are safely docked.

In the mean time you can use a piece of line wrapped around the tiller and tied at each side to give you a bit of control to let the tiller go and adjust the lines.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes Dave, the tiller clutch is a useful tool for a tiller boat. I tried several ideas on my 15 footer but when I found the tiller clutch problem was solved. No dial turning just a flick of a lever on or off. Too loose shorten the line. Easy peasy.