a duck amongst swans...

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle

I hope this is a mid-week distraction for the office for many. We raced our 1993 Hunter legend 40.5 in the Swiftsure and made a video to show her in action. She was a (pretty) ducks amongst many swans.

Those of you in the Pacific Northwest are likely familiar with the Swiftsure, for others around the globe, the Swiftsure is an iconic Canadian/US race that takes place on Memorial Day weekend each year. It runs from Victoria, BC on Vancouver island to the Pacific Ocean.

We don't take ourselves too seriously but we push her hard as you'll see. The 40.5 is slow (126 PHRF) compared to the fleet but do relatively well and as importantly think we may have the happiest crew!

If you have a few minutes to spare, come ride with us. Feel free to reach out if you're in the Seattle area, we may have some crew spots opening for local races... or maybe we can just to catch up cruising in WA or BC....

Frederick
SV Pardon My French
Seattle, WA

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Nice video. Thanks for not torturing us with head banging music. For me, not having sailed anywhere in the PNW, it was fun to see the conditions in the Straight. One comment: You probably can't sail that asymmetric as low as you were trying. It's analogous to pinching sailing upwind. It's just slow.
PHRF 126 is a rocket ship around here.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Nice... and quite a temperature range!

FWIW, you can wrap elastic 6' tethers behind your back when not in use to eliminate the dangle and snag. Just something to try. Common practice on race boats.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Nice video. Thanks for not torturing us with head banging music. For me, not having sailed anywhere in the PNW, it was fun to see the conditions in the Straight. One comment: You probably can't sail that asymmetric as low as you were trying. It's analogous to pinching sailing upwind. It's just slow.
PHRF 126 is a rocket ship around here.
we use it as reacher sometimes, and it works quite well, but yes it could have been flown higher when downwind. Actually did to that yesterday and placed 3rd last night at local seattle race

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Nice... and quite a temperature range!

FWIW, you can wrap elastic 6' tethers behind your back when not in use to eliminate the dangle and snag. Just something to try. Common practice on race boats.
Thanks for the tip. can you clarify what you mean by back?

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Antal winch handles, my favorite too. Nice run.
Yup, and thank. I found the way to get new gear is to invite new crew, so they drop it in the drink and replace with new ones... it happened for a few handles. I tell them not to replace them, but they all do! I am blessed with great folks on our crews. :)