A/C installation for Catalina 28 MK II

Apr 10, 2013
Catalina 28 Mk II Naples
Saw one advertised by broker. He said unit was in hanging locker area. Anyone have this installation or other for this boat ?

Jul 15, 2012
Catalina 28 Bayfield-Harbour Lighs Marina
Good morning Jim, did you have much luck. And if so on what web-site. And where did you finally have the a/c installed.

thanks,

John

Apr 10, 2013
Catalina 28 Mk II Naples
I went to Mermaid A/C in Fort Myers, FL. They are very helpful. Got measurements for their unit. Made a box the appropriate size. Built a shelf to support unit. All going well...until, I went up there for final consult when I was told I needed a 4" splitter on the air going out to achieve appropriate back pressure for unit to function properly. In short, there was NO room for that in ANY configuration. They would not guarantee the unit would work properly. My response was I was not going to drill 2 holes in the hull, spend close to $2,000.00 and not be assured the unit would work properly. Result, no A/C. I don't know why I could not put a damper, like a shutter, in the way to create back pressure (lack of freezes up unit if I remember correctly). End of project. Could have located unit in aft bunk, but that had it's own problems.

Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
I went to Mermaid A/C in Fort Myers, FL. They are very helpful. Got measurements for their unit. Made a box the appropriate size. Built a shelf to support unit. All going well...until, I went up there for final consult when I was told I needed a 4" splitter on the air going out to achieve appropriate back pressure for unit to function properly. In short, there was NO room for that in ANY configuration. They would not guarantee the unit would work properly. My response was I was not going to drill 2 holes in the hull, spend close to $2,000.00 and not be assured the unit would work properly. Result, no A/C. I don't know why I could not put a damper, like a shutter, in the way to create back pressure (lack of freezes up unit if I remember correctly). End of project. Could have located unit in aft bunk, but that had it's own problems.
Wow, that is a bummer. Thank you for replying back to him. I had thought about an AC. After this, no way. I do not plan on spending all this time and money on a dock queen. Extra holes is something I want to avoid at all costs. Too bad you couldn't vent it through a window or something and make an adaptor. Did you try that? I would sure hate to that investment and not be able to use it.