'98 H-376: Recharging The House Battery

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter Hunter 34 Kent Narrows
Last summer, we decided to move up from our '86 Hunter 34' (which is still for sale if anyone is interested) and purchased a '98 Hunter 376. We dropped the hook on a couple of hot summer overnights last year and left the refrigerator/freezer (Adler-Barbour) on all night which ran down our house battery quite a bit, even though the p.o had updated to an 8D AGM in 2013. Furthermore, a 3 hour run motoring back to our marina, didn't fully recharge the battery. We will be retiring in a few weeks and our plan for this summer is to be quasi-liveaboards and explore the Chesapeake Bay from top to bottom and the many gunkholes in between. We would like to be able to stay out at anchor for 3 or 4 nights at a time before having to pull into a marina to plug in. To that end, here are few things I'm considering. Replacing the original, built in 11 watt solar charger that is connected to the starting battery with this 30 watt unit and connecting it to the house battery: https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=376&c=15&p=55119 Also, replacing the current Balmar 90 - 75 amp alternator with a 100 amp model.
On the consumption side, I'm thinking of buying a Yeti cooler, filling it with ice and then filling ziploc bags with ice from the cooler and placing the bags in the refrigerator/freezer to take up any empty air space and then turning the refrigerator off at night. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The proposed 30W panel, even with an upsized alternator, will still not meet your energy budget. Consider replacing your inadequate battery bank, with like 4 6V golf carts and a much bigger solar, rather than spending the money on a cooler. Increase your solar to charge a larger bank, you need not reduce your consumption, nor will the cooler do much better in the larger scheme of things. I'd spend ALL my $$ on solar and batteries.

Congratulations on your new boat.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Block ice works best to hold cold I run refer down real cold on shore power the turn back to half setting on the hook

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
if you aren't going to watch TV/videos while at anchor you are going need about 300W of solar, if you are you will need about 600W or plan on a generator or running the engine each day

this is based on my past 1.5 years cruising and living on the boat

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A refrigerator should be able to sustain perishables being operated for 1 hour On and 3 Off as long as the lid or door is not opened too often. If the objective is to be off the grid 3 to 4 nights a week during a couple of summer months I would personally choose a gas powered portable generator like the Honda 2000. It entails no permanent upgrades to the boat that may be unnecessary for the larger part of the year and provides other convenience options. You can have 120V ac power to operate TV, microwave oven, small A/C unit, and others besides the primary function of battery charging. A reliable and fairly quiet Honda 2000 sells for $999 and will consume 1 gallon of gas approximately for an 8 hour run. With a gallon of gas at around $2.40 will it will cost around $10.00 a week to operate. A portable generator can also be used for camping, operation of power tools or home power failures. There are cheaper Chinese manufactured units for around $500. I would not eliminate the periodic pull into a marina as a hot shower, a restaurant meal and sightseeing are necessary things.

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
1. you'll find that 100 vs 75 amp alternator doesn't actually make much difference since most charging is current limited absorption phase.
2. Don't confuse watts and amps. 30 watts is only 2.5 amps, times 5 hours full sun per day only gives you 12.5 amp hours per day. It'd take over 40 hours of full sun to recharge your batteries from 50%. 30 watts is more than enough to fry fully charged batteries if you don't use a charge controller though.

I understand 12v refrigerators use around 5 amps, so 2 of those 30 amp panels would run it if you only ran it from 10 to 2 (11 to 3 DST).

Last edited:

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Go with solar.. 300 watt panels are as low as 120 bucks.. see Ebay and made in the USA. 2 panels 600 watts. There is more room for 3 Deep cycle batts on starboard stern where a GEN would be installed and where my second bank is installed. The fridge on my H380 2000 runs off starter batt (at least the electric water cooling pump)... Make sure you get mono crystal solar panles, work better in low light and at less than optimum angle.

As an alternative to a Honda or Yamaha portable 2000 Gen, consider the Westinghouse 2500, same size, wt., just as quiet, all made in China . but its more powerful and sells for 575 delivered. They can be paralleled also. It will run my 16,000 BTU a/c.

I set mine up in cockpit and with an adapter to my 30 amp shore power cable, when I need to use it... not often the case with 600 solar watts.
Regards,
Viper

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
If you are going to be staying on your boat every day generators and even running your engine works. But if you are going be a cruiser and leave the boat once in a while and don't want your food to go bad, solar in the end is the best answer.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We dropped the hook on a couple of hot summer overnights last year and left the refrigerator/freezer (Adler-Barbour) on all night which ran down our house battery quite a bit.
Considering that your house bank should really never dip below about 12.2V, even under your average house loads, what is "ran down our house battery quite a bit." actually mean?? What was your voltage come morning?

even though the p.o had updated to an 8D AGM in 2013.
A single 8D AGM, pushing 4+ years old, is likely already getting quite tired unless it has been treated very well. You don't say what brand it is, and this can make a huge difference in cycle life, as many of the 8DAGM's out there are not a deep-cycle product but rather a "dual purpose" battery stickered as "deep cycle".

A typical 8D AGM is rated at around 250Ah's of capacity. If you cycle to 50% DOD then the most "usable capacity" you'll have, from a 100% SOC starting point, is approx 125Ah's. IF THE BATTERY CAN DELIVER ITS RATED CAPACITY. This is very unlikely at 4+ yeas old.
Now stack crusing on top of that and your average daily usable capacity shrinks to just 30-35% of the banks actual capacity because to properly charge a battery back to 100% SOC takes 5.5+ hours in "perfect conditions" but more like 7+ hours on a boat, even for AGM's. Thus, when cruising your average daily usable capacity will be about 30-35% of the banks actual capacity.

Let's assume your bank can deliver 200 Ah's at this point in its life.

30% of 200Ah = 60Ah's (this is if you get back to 80% SOC Each day)
35% of 200Ah = 70 Ah's (this is if you can get back to 85% SOC each day)

As can be seen quite easily a singly 8D on a boat with refrigeration is rather grosssly undersized for even one day let alone 3-4 days...

Furthermore, a 3 hour run motoring back to our marina, didn't fully recharge the battery.
Of course not, and it never will, no matter how much charge current you can throw at it. Charging lead acid batteries to 100% SOC takes a LONG time. In perfectly optimal lab conditions, see link below, at a .2C charge rate it took 5:45 to go from 50% DOD to 100% SOC and at .4C it took 5:30.... Once out of bulk the battery determines how fast it can be charged, not the charge sources....

How Fast Can an AGM Battery be Charged (LINK)

We will be retiring in a few weeks and our plan for this summer is to be quasi-liveaboards and explore the Chesapeake Bay from top to bottom and the many gunkholes in between. We would like to be able to stay out at anchor for 3 or 4 nights at a time before having to pull into a marina to plug in. To that end, here are few things I'm considering. Replacing the original, built in 11 watt solar charger that is connected to the starting battery with this 30 watt unit and connecting it to the house battery: https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=376&c=15&p=55119 Also, replacing the current Balmar 90 - 75 amp alternator with a 100 amp model.
For your described desires, 3-4 nights before recharging to 100% SOC you'll want a....

#1 Considerably larger house bank 450-600 Ah's (follow the 30-35% rule for 3-4 days of usable capacity)
#2 Considerably larger alternator than *100A, but this will entail a dual belt or serpentine pulley kit
#3 A Generator & massive inverter/charger if you don't do the alternator
#4 200W + of solar...

*Going from 75A to 100A is money unwisely spent. You could do more just properly programming your external regulator, if it is a good one like a Balmar.. Approx 98% of the boats I set foot on, with external regulators, are not optimally programmed...

On the consumption side, I'm thinking of buying a Yeti cooler, filling it with ice and then filling ziploc bags with ice from the cooler and placing the bags in the refrigerator/freezer to take up any empty air space and then turning the refrigerator off at night. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Minimizing consumption is always the money best spent. LED bulbs are one of the biggest savers of energy on a boat and one of the first energy saver that should be considered.. Making sure your fridge is running optimally and is well insulated is also key. These days computers, tablets and other electronic gadgetry have eclipsed daily refrigeration consumption for many families. Most boat owners don't believe it, until you show them how much energy it takes to keep these things charged and running.... I have one family who burns over 65Ah per day just on phones, tablets, computers etc......

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter Hunter 34 Kent Narrows
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. You gave me much to chew on. --RKS

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
I have a Hunter 49 which is plugged in accept when we go to Catalina. It has 8d cells. I am limping by okay when we travel by turning off 2 fridges and running the Honda iu2000 for 2-3 hours a day. The generator is loud and helps but certainly does not put back enough power. I am looking for a little extra power and if possible, to cut back on my generator running time.

I would like to add solar but do not want a permanent install over the cockpit. Will 200w of solar panels make much difference? Can I lay the panels on the foredeck when we are at a mooring and then stow them when we are moving? Is it worth it?

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Just finished installing 400 watts of solar on our bimini, run through an MPPT controller, first 2 panels wired in series, second two panels again wired in series and the final connection to the controller both sets of panels wired into parallel, this feeds 2 Lifeline 8D AGM batteries that are new this year. Installed a 160 Amp Electromax Alternator last year linked to both the AGM start battery and the 2 8D house bank batteries through a Blue Seas ACR with the heaviest cabling possible to minimize line loss. All internal and external lights have been switched over to LED units. We run both the fridge and freezer with the addition of two cakes of block ice in each to reduce the ambient temps in both boxes and then cover anything in the boxes with a mylar windshield cover to hold the cold in. We also have a Yamaha 2000 portable generator for use of the microwave, etc. when were on the hook or the mooring as we aren't in a marina. Next years plan is to convert the Yamaha to propane gas to eliminate one more fuel to carry ( I presently leave the gas for the generator in the dinghy for safety reasons) With the install of the solar panels life aboard has become much more pleasant as it cut down the ice requirements to a minimum.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Yea, I love the hum of an air cooled gas generator on someone's transom or deck in a nice, quiet anchorage.
You really hit a sore spot of mine here.
We cruise the 1000 islands, and enjoy the secluded anchorages.
And then there is some guy in a big Carver or wannabee trawler, who runs their genset all night long so that they can close the boat up and run air conditioning all night long.
My FP gender is deadly quite with split exhaust, but even still I would never run it after sundown.
The beauty of an anchorage is having open windows, listening to nature.
If people need to have their flat screens going, airco units humming , and continous AC power 24/7, maybe they should consider a hotel with a pool

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
We run our generator only when absolutely necessary and never after sun down. Anchorages on this coast are many and for the most part abandoned but as artboas noted if you need your comforts 24/7 maybe a hotel would be more appropriate than a boat and a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
RK,
I own the same boat. I have two 4D's, plus the start battery. The 2nd 4D is under the settee just forward of the galley. I think four 6V's is the way to go. Lifting those 4Ds in and out of the boat is a job for superhuman young guys. I'm getting to old.... Good luck.
Bob