9.9 Mercury too much?

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
Hey all, I am a new owner of a Catalina 22 project. She came with a 9.9 but I was wondering if this outboard may be too heavy. I noticed some gel coat cracking around the motor mount. Thoughts? I do not mind going down in size as we sail small lakes and only motor in and out of the marina.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It's too much for a C22, you'll be much happier with a 6hp, in light conditions, even a 2hp Honda is great.

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
Welcome and congratulations, LadyHawk!
The first C-22 I sailed had a 10hp 4 stroke, but that was Lake Tahoe - a big lake known for it's strong winds and tall chop.
A popular choice is the 6hp Tohatsu sail pro.
I hear it's better to have too much and not need it than too little horsepower and need more.
Check out Stingy Sailor's blog. He has an upgrade project adding support for the motor mount:
https://stingysailor.com/2015/06/20/how-to-secure-your-outboard-motor-for-safe-trailering-2/

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Years ago, Frank Butler reaffirmed the transom on the 22 and 25 were designed for outboards up to 10 hp but from a dealer perspective knowing engines, the 9.9 is an overpowered engine for the 22. Both Sacto Dave and Dave Groshong are correct. I am not sure if your 9.9 was two stroke or the four stroke as the four stroke is a heavier engine.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes you got to define whether the engine is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke as the 2 stroke engine would probably be not much heavier than a 4 stroke 6HP. Regarding the power, the larger engine will likely burn more fuel and additional thrust would be wasted but it would impose no detrimental effects to the boat or motor mount and the extra power may come in handy in foul conditions. The negative effect would be the weight of the engine which for a 4 stroke 9.9 HP you'd probably be looking at around 100 lbs. I would try to keep the weight under 70 lbs. When they say overpowered they usually mean that cost, fuel and horsepower would be wasted. We run a Starwind 223 with a 2 stroke Nissan 9.8HP which weighs around 60 lbs and other that it burns 1 GPH of fuel and oil mixture the boat motors great. Remember it is most important to have the correct propeller size for the boat/motor combination.

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
As a trailer sailor I really don't love the idea of my husband having to lug 76 pounds around. Our trailer has a mount up front for the outboard so it doesn't have to ride on the boat's motor mount down the road. I think it would get old real quick moving 76 pounds back and forth.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I noticed some gel coat cracking around the motor mount. Thoughts? I do not mind going down in size as we sail small lakes and only motor in and out of the marina.
"Backing plate" is my first thought ... is there one, and if so is it large and solid? I agree 9.9 is more than you need, but you certainly wouldn't be the first to use one. You do need a beefy backing plate for it though.

As far as those small lakes go, a 4HP seems do the job. That's what my boat had when we bought her.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
A 9.9 two stroke in good running condition will fetch a pretty penny on the used market. Get the best price you can for it and put that towards a Tohatsu Sailpro 6 hp. While the motor is off, make yourself a backing plate from 1/2 inch plywood. Soak it with epoxy and paint it, but if you don't have epoxy regular enamel primer and paint will seal it up well.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Our trailer has a mount up front for the outboard so it doesn't have to ride on the boat's motor mount down the road. I think it would get old real quick moving 76 pounds back and forth.
Why move it? The engine riding on its motor mount down the paved road gets a better treatment than when the boat is in the water. I hate those up front mounts as the engine may get chips and even damage from road debri. I just have one caveat, when keeping the weight of the engine behind the trailer's axle make sure the tongue weight of the trailer is up to specs.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Why move it? The engine riding on its motor mount down the paved road gets a better treatment than when the boat is in the water. I hate those up front mounts as the engine may get chips and even damage from road debri. I just have one caveat, when keeping the weight of the engine behind the trailer's axle make sure the tongue weight of the trailer is up to specs.
Do a lot of others also leave their outboard on the transom mount while trailering?

Benny - I'd love to leave it on - but I was concerned it would put too much stress on the transom. I have a 6hp Sail Pro, and plan to trailer about 50 miles each way, but just normal highways and paved roads. I have what I believe is the original factory motor mount on a 1987. If it works for you - that's great news to me-

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Do a lot of others also leave their outboard on the transom mount while trailering?
Gene and others do. I can see no reason you can't tow it 1000 miles with the sailpro on the mount, as long as you stop it from bouncing by using straps. (and have a solid/sound transom with a good backing plate for the mount)

I plan on making a cover for mine so it protects it from debris on mount when towing.

I can't understand why people would mount them on the front of the trailer, unless they need to increase trailer tongue weight, have no backing plate on the motor mount, have a rotten transom, or want rock chips in the motor.