9.2C Shoal or Deep keel?

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
We are looking at a 9.2C and the owner is not sure if the boat has the shoal or deep(er) keel. I have the VIN and I'm curious if there's a way to identify the keel. We are looking for the shoal draft and since the boat's a few hours away, would prefer to know if it's worth the trip. If I have to dive under and measure, so be it, but I'd really rather not waste the time if possible.

Thanks!
Steve

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Did you try Sailboatdata.com? You need the brand. 9.2C is a model only. 9,2 meters model C

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We are looking at a 9.2C and the owner is not sure if the boat has the shoal or deep(er) keel. I have the VIN and I'm curious if there's a way to identify the keel. We are looking for the shoal draft and since the boat's a few hours away, would prefer to know if it's worth the trip. If I have to dive under and measure, so be it, but I'd really rather not waste the time if possible.
e
No way to tell. S2 is long gone.

Apr 19, 2010
S2 9.2C Lincoln, NE
An excellent source for S2 boats is Scott Bytwerk, sbytwerk@s2yachts.com. I'd suggest you contact him. I sail a 1982 S2 9.2 and he has been very helpful providing information I needed about the boat. On a different note, I presume you meant HIN, not VIN. The S2 9.2C is a great boat.

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Thanks for all the replies. The owner sold the boat, kind of out from under us, so it's now a non-issue.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thanks for all the replies. The owner sold the boat, kind of out from under us, so it's now a non-issue.
That is so frustrating. Usually, though, those kind of things are for the better. The PO must have had a reason to be anxious about the sale. Probably not because it was a great deal for you.
The boat a patient buyer gets is always the better deal.
Good luck
- Will (Dragonfly)

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, the owner just wasn't sure which keel the boat had, but suspected it was the shoal draft, which we would require for South Florida. He was indeed anxious about selling as he had taken a job in Seattle, moving away from Hudson Florida, just north of Tampa. Only Alaska would have been a farther move for him! In his defense, we looked at the boat, scheduled a survey, sea-trial and haul out but day of show, it was too foggy (and windy) to get out of Hudson; miles of very narrow channel. The owner left and we were dealing with a very casual, low key broker who accepted our offer, written contract and good-faith check but didn't deposit it. By the time we could re-schedule everything in a couple weeks, someone else offered more, as-is. It was a great buy, but as I say, "There's always another deal." Thanks again for the direction... ;-)