9.2A new owner questions

Mar 14, 2011
S2 9.2A Deltaville, VA
My wife and I just took possession of our new-to-us 9.2A, and took her out for the first time yesterday. Although we've got lots of "new boat" issues to work through, one operational question arose that I'd like help with. The exhaust outlet for our diesel is not routed through the transom, but through the underside of the hull just above the waterline near where the rudder meets the hull. This means that it's impossible to see the water flow through the outlet from the cockpit, which is one of the basic operational checks one is supposed to do to verify the water pump is working when the engine is running. In the slip, where the water is calm, one can see some splash where the exhaust water hits the water's surface, but underway, and especially if there's some chop, even this subtle clue is lost. What do you guys do to ensure you've got water flow through the exhaust if you can't see the exhaust outlet?

And another totally unrelated question. We have a couple of upholstered pillows in the main cabin that we're struggling to determine the function of. Both are upholstered in the same material as the remainder of the interior, which makes me think they are original to the boat and not some after-market addition. Both have a plywood backing, and so appear to be meant to support some weight. One is trapezoidal and is 22 1/2 " wide, so it fits into the opening underneath the "chart table"; it appears to be meant to extend the quarterberth to make that berth long enough to actually be useful as a berth. The other one, though, is a simple rectangle, 12 1/2" x 19". We can't determine what this one is meant for. Any ideas?
Thanks,
David

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you will soon learn the sound of the exhaust and be able to tell if water is coming out just by sound ....but i did get a bronze exhaust outlet and install it in the boot strip on the rear and glassed the fiberglass tube closed... if your exhaust hose ever comes off you could sink you boat...as for the cushion i have no idea about the 12 x 19 but the other one is extending the quarter berth

Mar 14, 2011
S2 9.2A Deltaville, VA
Thanks, Woody. I'd thought about moving the outlet but that's a big enough project that it won't get done real soon. I appreciate the insight.

David

Jul 8, 2014
Catalina C400 Oriental NC
vaguely remember a post where this skipper kept an inspection mirror (border patrol-ish rig on a telescoping handle for checking under vehicles) just for looking under the stern while underway.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
vaguely remember a post where this skipper kept an inspection mirror (border patrol-ish rig on a telescoping handle for checking under vehicles) just for looking under the stern while underway.
that works good when the outlet is above the water line but on the 9.2.....it is piped below the waterline a n d has no seacock to on it..... not a good thing

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
is that cushion a trapezoid shape if so it is for the gap.....good catch dava 390

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
after going back and rereading you question ...it could be the cushion for the starboard settee inside the closet to extend the surface into a bunk

Mar 14, 2011
S2 9.2A Deltaville, VA
Thanks to all for your help. The small cushion in question is not trapezoidal, it's rectangular. We do have a cushion for extending the starboard settee; that's not the one I'm asking about. We also have the filler cushion for the V-berth. If the purpose of this cushion becomes clear I'll let you all know. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure it's not necessary for sailing the boat, so I'm not worried about it. I was just curious and thought some of you guys might know. Thanks again,
BTW, the boat's currently in Deltaville, VA, on Broad Creek. We plan to bring her home to Norfolk sometime this fall, so we'll be just 10-12 miles or so from Bugbitten. She currently doesn't have a name; my wife and I are working on that.

Cheers,

David

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
If you stand on the coaming and lean way over you can probably seen the outlet. Regarding the cushion, is it the seat for the chart table?

Attachments

Mar 14, 2011
S2 9.2A Deltaville, VA
Bob,
I think you're right about the cushion. It looks just like the one in your picture, the one folded up against the engine cover box. We thought about that but couldn't figure out how to make it work as it's too small to fit any of the available supporting structure. Looks like we just need to play with it a bit more to see how to make it work. Thanks, the picture really helps!

David

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i had that fold down seat when i got the boat but deep sixed it ....they sometimes try to cram too much in to a 30 ft boat ....my nav table is my sette table now......