9.2a fridge

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
9.2a fridge Freon ...can't find port to add Freon....is it soldered closed? Who makes it...any clues? Motor runs but not getting cold

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If you could find a port, what would you “add”? R-12 or R-134? And how much? Your best plan would be to obtain services of a refer technician who can tell you the state of the system before trying any home remedy..And let the tech charge it if it proves out. Welcome to ownership..

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Refrig was not a standard part of an S2 9.2.. Most likely an owner added aftermarket unit.. If early 80's, most likely was F-12 originally.. Still can be sourced but is kinda expensive.. There are some substitutes available ..

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Sometimes the cost of replacing refrigerant is self defeating and replacing the unit with a modern and more power efficient unit is prudent. The refrigerant leaked out before and will again. R22 is over a $100 a pound in my neighborhood. Don't ask how I know, the garage split unit is being replaced next week. Check out @Walts installation in this thread https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...n-custom-ice-chest-to-electric-fridge.187856/
We will go this route with our Mid 26 (8.0C) in the original ice box so we can use our Engle as a freezer for ice cream on outings.

Jan 22, 2008
S-2 9.2 A Chicago IL
I have a factory installed unit in 1982. Due to leakage the unit unit did not work in 2016. First Check the unit for the type of Freon used there will be a label on the compressor assembly. If it’s old Freon R 12 was used. A mineral based oil. You need to pull the unit to add a fill port on the compress. Then have the proper fill of R 12 around 3.5 oz to the Unit after a complete vacuum ie -29mm. I suggest a 24 hr vacuum check ie no change in readings . Note any work with R12 is controlled by the EPA and done by a licensed person also R12 is no longer made. If you can fine a old falcon air horn can from the 1980’s or on eBay good luck. The replacement for R12 available use flammable gases not allowed in the US and not on a boat. I Had a qualified person doing the above with success, only to find out the tubing quick disconnect leak out the Freon after several months. Parker Sell replacement quick filling but your back to were you started. My solution was to bit the bullet and replace the unit. Defender Marine has a sale in the spring. Oh! The cost of a cold can of beer.