8D vs 4D marine gel batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff75

Dec 9, 2007
Catalina 310 Niagara on the Lake
I know there has been previous discussion about adding a start battery etc, but has anyone had any experience using the 8D battery vs the 4D?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
8D are 3 inches wider than 4D, not sure 2 would fit side by side. I'm thinking on going to 6V golf cart batteries, a lot lighter.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If I infer correctly, your question relates to any preference for an 8D vs. 4D for a start battery - why would you want either? Although either would work, both are overkill in that application. Any decent start battery would suffice and be a lot easier to handle.

Jeff75

Dec 9, 2007
Catalina 310 Niagara on the Lake
sorry ,,should have been a little clearer on that,, I currently have the old 2 X 4D batteries that need to be replaced. I have seen the posts previously where some have added the start battery. This is what I originally wanted to do but my battery supplier has offered me the 8D's at a great price. I wondered if by installing two 8D's,(if they fit), would this negate the need for a start battery or is it wise to think of the 8D's at all??

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It pretty much depends on how you use the batteries, i.e., do you typically draw them down 50% or more such that it is possible you may be without power to start the engine? How do you feel about using a battery selector switch and the need to ensure it is always on the correct battery? Do you want to spend the extra cash to install a separate start battery, wiring and deal with it's charging?

The main advantage (of a separate start battery (or as some prefer to cal it an "emergency" battery) is that you can always start the engine regardless of what the house bank capacity is. If,however, you find two 8Ds at over 400 amps way too much capacity for your expected need, you might consider separating them and forget about the start battery. Or, you can go with the two 8Ds and use them as both a house bank and starting battery if you are confident you would never deplete them.

Personally, I find your initial inclination (to go with the start battery) to be the ideal situation and use the two 8Ds as one large house bank but my electrical needs may differ drastically from yours so one solution doesn't fit all.

I know I didn't answer your question but frankly there is no single best answer, just things to consider.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
4D Lead Acid

FWIW, I just replaced my 4d batteries with two new ones from the local Interstate battery distributor for $179.99 each. Not bad and it was instant gratification as they had them in stock.

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
FWIW, I just replaced my 4d batteries with two new ones from the local Interstate battery distributor for $179.99 each. Not bad and it was instant gratification as they had them in stock.
Wow that is a good price, I have been getting quotes of $300 to $400 each

Sep 29, 2008
Wow, That was a good price atr Sam's

My brother checked in there for me and said they didn't have them ... I may need to talk to him. I did not find anything reasonable on the web for lead acid batteries. The local Batteries Plus also had 4D batteries for $145.00 but the more I talked to him the less convinced I was he had a brain so I went the safe route with the Interstate dealer.

Sep 29, 2008
Another $0.02

The other post about the 8D's being 3" wider is another good point. Replacing my 4D's was no problem thanks to Paul J's tip to rotate the inner, but there was not a whole lot of extra room to play around. 8D's may mean a lot of skinned knuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.