84 H31 Diesel Smell in Cabin

Mar 28, 2014
Hunter 31 Lake Norman, NC
Our '84 Hunter H31 has a bothersome diesel smell in the cabin. There are no leaks in the fuel system now but likely there have been. Some areas of the wood surrounding the engine compartment show stains. Are there any suggestions from the group for me to get the smell out of the interior? Thanks in advance! Chuck

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's a product called PureAyre PureAyre that will eliminate it. It's not an air freshener...it's the only product I've found that eliminates ANY odor. Not only will it get of diesel and residual odor left behind by stinking sanitation hoses, but PureAyre is also rated for use around food...which means you can even use it to get rid of the odor left in your fridge by the steaks or fish that spoiled when a natural disaster took out shore power for 3 days. Also does a great job on musty PFDs and foulies.

How to use it (prob'ly more instructions than you need if you're sure there's nothing left to clean up):
You can never eliminate any odor unless you first eliminate the source...'cuz as long as the source continues to exist, it'll continue to generate new odor. So first you have to find and fix any leak or replace the stinky hoses, then thoroughly clean the site, including every nook and cranny ...a good scrubbing with detergent and water. Mop up an excess water and let the air dry till it's at least only damp...no standing puddles. Now you're ready to eliminate the residual odor. Use PureAyre full strength...I'd use pump garden spray jug set to a fine mist. Spray every surface, nook and cranny...just a light spray. Do NOT rinse...just let it dry with hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate. If the soft goods in the cabin have picked up the odor, just spraying it on the surface won't do much...you need to spray enough on carpets and rugs to penetrate to the backing...enough to penetrate cushions to the middle from both sides..not enough to make 'em drippy, just enough to get into the cushion....you'll prob'ly have to remove the covers and send 'em to be cleaned. Again, just let everything dry. If you still have any odor, you missed a spot.

The sbo.com online store has it, but are showing only the spray bottle in stock. https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?5698 A spray bottle won't go very far, though...plus, it's cheaper in the long run to buy it by the gallon...it has an indefinite shelf life, so just keep it on hand. I'm sure sbo.com can get one for you.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Our '84 Hunter H31 has a bothersome diesel smell in the cabin. There are no leaks in the fuel system now but likely there have been. Some areas of the wood surrounding the engine compartment show stains. Are there any suggestions from the group for me to get the smell out of the interior? Thanks in advance! Chuck
I have been getting some diesel smell in my cabin as well on my 1983 H31. However, I don't have any oil leaks or visible staining. I think mine is a blown exhaust manifold gasket allowing a small amount of exhaust to leak into the engine compartment. It is on my list for replacement along with oil, filters, and engine anodes.

I plan to completely inspect the exhaust elbow, and clean or replace as necessary. I think I already have the stainless replacement elbow, and I know for certain it is missing a mounting bolt, so hopefully a good cleaning, a new gasket and bolts will solve my odor issue.

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks all! I've used the PureAyre with temporary success but (Peggie) obviously I'm not using enough. I'll scrub everything while waiting for a re-order of spray!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's not necessarily the amount you're using, but whether you've first eliminated the source from EVERY nook and cranny and then gotten PurAyre into EVERY nook and cranny. If it's not permanently eliminating an odor it means that there's still an odor generating source you haven't found and eliminated yet.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --Sherlock Holmes

Problem is, too many people are too quick to rule out something as impossible that really isn't.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
It's not necessarily the amount you're using, but whether you've first eliminated the source from EVERY nook and cranny and then gotten PurAyre into EVERY nook and cranny. If it's not permanently eliminating an odor it means that there's still an odor generating source you haven't found and eliminated yet.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --Sherlock Holmes

Problem is, too many people are too quick to rule out something as impossible that really isn't.
Thanks, Sherlock!! I'll endeavor to get to "bilge" of it all!!