8:45PM- Night Train: Gulf of Maine.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Love the lighting. Any update on the turnbuckles?
Jon was right, I have the closed turn-buckles (and I love them!) However, the one we lost was the only open barrel buckle on the boat (yard lost my original). Difficult size, clevis pins are 7/16". I have a friend and rigger in Rockport. Sailing from Cuttyhunk to Newport, we texted back and forth. I took measurements, sent close up photos, he told me what to double check.

This is an amazing time we live in.

A Merriman bronze 7/16" turnbuckle was deposited in my mailbox in Rockport, that afternoon. It arrives with Mary Ann, in Stonington tomorrow night. I appreciated the advice here and did a trip lash (with better knots) of the closest thing I have to Dyneema(sp?).

Even so, I kept the jury rigged buckle on the lee all the way to Stonington. I have pad locked the sails until that turnbuckle arrives.

This was 7:30 PM on the Gulf of Maine. My sister in law and daughter (best crew ever!) cooked an amazing passage dinner of local Halibut and delicious side dishes with the bushels of fresh vegetables Mary Ann packed for us. Knife chopping below, stove swinging on the gimballs, dishes kept coming out into the cockpit! Nobody told these girls you can't eat well on an overnight passage.
Galley Gulf of Maine.jpg

Gulf of Maine dinner 7-20 pm.jpg

AP did all the work, very well. Well heeled, braced in the galley, I insisted on doing the dishes. They had to be done one at a time: scrape wash, rinse, dry, put away. Next-repeat. We had a great time, highest highs, lowest lows. So fun!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Very nice meal it looks like.I have a question-- where did you get an open bronze turnbuckle center? I lost one of mine in the hurricane
Yep. That’s a Merriman turnbuckle. Trident logo. My rigger friend Tom, from a lifetime of sailing, has a treasure trove of rigging parts. I assume these came from the chest. Nobody I know has more knowledge about this stuff. Tom and his wife just finished an Atlantic rim sail last year on their 1967, 37’ Nielsen double ended.

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Your heading “Night Train” caught my eye because it harkened back to an earlier era. The Henry R Hinckley family boat in the 60s/early 70s was named Night Train. It was such a cool name, and back in those days WGAN radio would broadcast during the night the rounding times at Cape Porpoise and at Monhegan for the Monhegan Race. More often than not Night Train was in the running and one time they referred to her as sailing like a ‘night train.’ I think she was a Hinckley 41 but could be mistaken.

Glad you got your turnbuckle sorted. Lynnie and I are a bit sad today as we are heading south tomorrow after several weeks in the Stockholm archipelago. The rocks and landscape here remind us a lot of Maine, but it has some things Maine doesn’t have: warmer water, much-less-salty water, no tide, no lobster buoys, no fog, long days, a place to anchor almost anywhere you go. But their lobsters aren’t as good.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
:) one by one almost all the vessels of that vintage and era, left. around my part of the midwest there does not seem to be many of us left.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
FDL S2. that's the state docks fayette, mich. big bay de noc, green bay. last september. i was the only vessel there. the next day we had a 87 mi spinnaker run to sturge, made it in 10 hrs. sweeet!

Last edited:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
87mi in 10hrs is moving! She's fast and beautiful!
I've sailed on Green Bay but never made it as far north as Bay de Noc. The bay is comfortable because, to me, its like sailing on Lake Winnebago-long, narrow and shallow with some shelter.
Northern Wisconsin, the UP and Norther Michigan are some of the most beautiful places I've been.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
FDL S2. that's the state docks fayette, mich. big bay de noc, green bay. last september. i was the only vessel there. the next day we had a 87 mi spinnaker run to sturge, made it in 10 hrs. sweeet!
Classic boats rule in New England. Stonington harbor is full Herreshoff, concordias, neilson, Macintosh, you name it wood. Then a huge fleet of half a century old classic plastic like hinckley, Rhodes, Alden, and so on. Here’s the rendezvous organizers caravelle. New England sails so the newest sailing tech is always alongside.
BDE89A07-ACC4-48A5-9864-E2B6C03554BA.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@TomY that looks a bit like a "FogFest" than a "sail-in". Your going to need that 'tech' to get about, or even find your boat from shore. Have they developed an app that will bring it to the dock? Oh yes... a phone. You call the liveaboard crew and tell them your ready at the dock...Come and get me.

I do like the misty image of great looking boats.