79 Hunter 30 Layout

Jun 11, 2019
Hunter 30 Port Canaveral
I recently bought a 1979 Hunter 30. Ive been looking at pictures of other Hunter's from the same year and noticed all have a different layout on the port side couch and table setup. Mine has and extra side couch with a table base in the middle of the floor. You have to pull the post up with the table in order to slide the bed out. I see all others don't have that extra couch area and have a table that swings down from the bulk head wall. Is there a reason mines different?

Attachments

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Most likely the previous owner (PO) made the modifications. It looks comfortable to me. I don’t have an ottoman. Is there something that you don’t like about the layout? Nice looking salon!

Jun 11, 2019
Hunter 30 Port Canaveral
Just seems like the table being folded up to the wall gives more space and easier to get the pull out bed in and out easier. Plus it takes up some opening space over the bilge area and I need to get in there to replace the compression post base.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Based on your newest info about differences and our earlier discussion, it appears that you have a VERY late 1979 (Hunter ran out of the previous version models??) or (and more likely) you actually have a 1980 model. Because, your's meets the specs for a 1980, which would explain the diff.
You need to cross reference your Hull ID number (HIN number) on the transom with the code found in the Hunter owners resource archives section in this forum and verify which it is.

Jun 11, 2019
Hunter 30 Port Canaveral
I cannot find a Hull ID number on the boat. I thought it was suppose to be on the stern on the starboard side. Also I read somewhere that there is another place it should be on the inside of the boat but I'm not sure where that is.

May 27, 2004
UH OH! Fed law requires the HIN number to be affixed to the boat somewhere and Hunter put them all in the same place on those model years.
Next is to go to your title/registration to find the number.
I'll check mine tomorrow to give you a sense of what your supposed to have.

But, I'm forced to ask a disturbing question...
Is it possible that your boat was "totaled" by a PO/insurance company, salvaged, the original HIN number wiped off in the repair, and then given a 'new' HIN by a state government? I hear CarFax has some limited boat info. Don't know the details.

Jun 11, 2019
Hunter 30 Port Canaveral
I sure hope that's not the case, but I guess anything is possible in the last 40yrs..lol. I just assumed a PO had painted over it or removed it to paint and never put it back.

May 27, 2004
The number was embossed deep in the gel coat. Simply painting over it would not make it disappear.
Body filler, thickened epoxy, or a fiberglass repair/repaint would.

Jun 11, 2019
Hunter 30 Port Canaveral
Ok... I'll look over the hull once more... Gonna have me wife print me out a decal to stick on the stern