79 Hunter 30 battery placement & aft end layout

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
When I purchased my 1979 Hunter 30, and the batteries were in the lazarette and not held down to anything. The fuel tank was on a wooden shelf above and aft of the prop shaft seal. There are some nubs on the bottom of the cockpit floor just forward of the pedestal that look like something important was hacked off by some PO (see pics). I started digging into things to replace the frozen control cables and remove the fuel tank for cleaning, and thought I should put the batteries in a spot that leaves the lazarette open for PFD, fenders, etc. I'm thinking the batteries originally shared the wooden shelf with the fuel tank, just forward of the tank. The tank is leaky, so I will likely get a custom one made that uses more of the space that is currently below the shelf, and leave more room for batteries.

So I'm hoping you owners of '79 and older H30s (80 and later seem to be different in this area) can help me with a few things:
1. Where do your batteries reside, and how are they held in place?
2. Do you have some fiberglass structural members attached to the cockpit floor between the tranny and the fuel tank? What are they? Any pics would be helpful.
3. How are your engine control cables routed? What are the housings connected to? My shifter cable housing was screwed to the wooden shelf, and the speed cable housing was clamped to the exhaust. The engine is a Yanmar YSM-12. The Yanmar manual shows the shifter cable looping around from the front and held by a bracket on the engine.

The pictures are taken from the quarter berth, with most of the wood panels and the fuel tank removed so you can see right through the engine compartment into the lazarette. The steering pedestal and below-deck pulleys have also been removed (the radius wheel is visible in the second pic).

Ben
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hey Ben, I've attached three images that show my battery shelf and support straps, as well as the shifter cable and connection to shifter on the YSM. The red arrows just highlight a few of the features. Obviously the batteries have been removed. Both batteries set side by side in separate RV style battery boxes and then strapped down between the two edge moldings. The batteries bump up to the fuel tank. The shifter cable comes straight down from the pedestal and hooks directly to the transmission shifter as shown in the images. I hope these help!

Wayne
Battery Shelf and Straps.jpg
Shifter Cable.jpg
Shifter Cable Connection.jpg

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
Wayne, thanks, that's very helpful. My shifter lever is on the other side, but it looks like I should be able to switch sides. The lever looks different though, like yours comes out to the side more to allow the cable to run to the side of the batteries. I'll have to see if I can find or make one like that. Is your shifter cable larger than a 3300? What does your throttle cable housing anchor to?
Ben

Nov 30, 2015
I'm not sure. I had the Boatyard mechanics replace the shifter cable last year when they couldn't shift into reverse to get the boat launched. The cable had seized over the winter. I'll check with them to see what was installed. On the pedestal of my H30C the throttle is on right side, shifter on left looking towards the bow from behind the wheel. The shifter lever is a variable 2 position length, about twice as long as the throttle lever. I have some pictures somewhere. Regardless, I'm heading to the lake tomorrow for a day sail. I'll collect whatever pictures you need. Just let me know if we're similar enough in setup to be helpful.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
1. Where do your batteries reside, and how are they held in place?
On my '77 h30, the four 6v GC batteries live in the space under the port quarterberth. It's a bit of a puzzle to get them in there but they are secure and near the breaker panel on the nav station so there's not much of a wire run.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Like BMA, my 79 H30C has the batts forward of the fuel tank, tied down with straps. Since I bought mine new, it's original that way.
My question for you is: Were you able to remove the fuel tank without cutting or crushing the tank? If so, which way did you use to move it?
Thanks.

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
Wayne, yes, our setups seem very similar. On the old Edson pedestal, the shift lever was on the aft and sticking out toward the port side (see pic). Since that was heavily corroded and seized, I got a used pedestal (another Edson) that has the shift lever on the port side sticking up. I'm a little concerned that if I install the cable the same way it was, I'll have to pull back for forward, push forward for reverse. So I might get a longer cable and loop it around to anchor to a bracket on the engine.

Roland, is your breaker panel near the floor in the QB, so you have to remove the cushion and open a locker to get to the back? Is that where your batteries are, right behind the breakers? I can't access any other spaces below my quarter berth. Seems like there should be another space under there, but there's no opening to get to it. Maybe it's too shallow to be useful.

Ggrizzard, I've seen lots of good posts from you and noticed we have the same year boat. That's a good question. I took some measurements and thought I might be able to get it out of the lazarette, but there was still a gallon or two in it and I would have had to turn it all different ways, and maybe it wouldn't have come out that way anyways. I did get it out in one piece, and without spilling fuel, by removing the wood panel between the fuel tank and QB (not the panel next to the engine though) and dragging it through the QB and cabin. I just had to remove a few screws and the panel came out. I don't think I could have done it without removing the steering cable sheaves under the pedestal though. Maybe I could have slid the tank forward, but I needed to replace most of the steering system anyways, so I'm doing both at the same time. If I removed the exhaust hose, it probably would have slid forward enough to get it out from under the steering sheaves. I'm planning on getting a tank made that's a bit of a different shape, so hopefully I'll be able to get it back in place. I'll do it before reinstalling the new steering, so it shouldn't be too tricky. And I'll mock it up first to make sure it can be installed.

Ben
IMG_0410.jpg

Nov 30, 2015
Wayne, yes, our setups seem very similar. On the old Edson pedestal, the shift lever was on the aft and sticking out toward the port side (see pic). Since that was heavily corroded and seized, I got a used pedestal (another Edson) that has the shift lever on the port side sticking up. I'm a little concerned that if I install the cable the same way it was, I'll have to pull back for forward, push forward for reverse. So I might get a longer cable and loop it around to anchor to a bracket on the engine.
Ben
View attachment 138774
Wow, I haven't seen that type of setup with an Edson pedestal. The shift lever behind the wheel doesn't seem like a convenient place to grab reverse quickly if needed for docking. This photo, showing our controls, was taken last fall as we motored to the Boatyard for mast drop and haul out. The throttle is the shorter lever

IMG_0589.JPG

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
I haven't actually used the engine controls because the cables and the lever bushings have been seized since I got the boat. But I agree, that shifter handle seems like it would be a pain to use. Yours is in a good location, plus it looks beefy. Can it be slid up for more leverage? Is that an Edson? The controls I'm putting in have the handles in the same location as yours, but the shifter is sort of small and wimpy compared to yours and my old one. I'm hoping it will handle shifting the old tranny (no pun intended). I went to that style because I got an entire used pedestal with wheel, compass, and crossed wire idler assy for only a little more than the new engine controls.

This is the Edson page with the one I'm replacing: http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinest...product_info&cPath=85_95_215&products_id=1086

Here's the one I'm replacing it with: http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinest...product_info&cPath=85_95_215&products_id=1083

Hey, it looks like you have a port side lazarette? Is it shallow? Does it make the quarter berth cramped? There's only a lazarette on the starboard side of my '79, with the water heater in the aft end and a plywood panel separating it from the engine compartment (removed in my pictures in this thread).

Ben

Nov 30, 2015
Hi Ben,

Yes the shift lever can be extended to provide additional leverage in forward or reverse. The connector from the Edson pedestal for the shift lever has a ratchet style spring and ball bearing that keeps the lever from slipping down in either half or full extension.

Unfortunately there is no port side lazerette, only the starboard side just like you've described. That indentation you see is simply a molded in bench drain to the cockpit floor. The starboard lazerette is underneath the bench cushion.

Man those Edson prices are a bit frightening aren't they...but necessary for controls. Best of luck with the installation. Stay in touch.

Wayne

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Not sure if the 30 is laid out exactly like my 1981 27, but I'd bet they are similar. I sacrificed the port side quarter berth for my house bank of 4 - 6v GC 2's.

image.jpeg

Today, I added 4 more mounting them in the starboard lazzarette in the cabin.

image.jpeg

May 27, 2004
Ben, Thanks for the kind words and the info on your tank removal. Just tryin' to help others with their classic boat refit.
I had to remove the QTR berth bulkhead after some water damage messed up the original. I redesigned the engine cover section and the QTR berth panel into two separate sections. Now the QTR panel covers the sleep section up to the overhead with a cutout for the port light. It is totally removable with four screws. So, I should have no problem moving the tank when I replace it this Fall.

May 27, 2004
Mr Toast...
You have enough batt storage to power a Prius for a thousand miles. Was the idea to extend cruising range without connecting to the mains? But, using that much storage space for batts seems to limit your normal cruising operations.

Sep 2, 2011
Mr Toast...
You have enough batt storage to power a Prius for a thousand miles. Was the idea to extend cruising range without connecting to the mains? But, using that much storage space for batts seems to limit your normal cruising operations.
The idea is to stay on the hook as much as possible while remaining as green as possible.
I have an entire v-berth for storing the Prius! :laugh:

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
The idea is to stay on the hook as much as possible while remaining as green as possible.
I have an entire v-berth for storing the Prius! :laugh:
Impressive! But yeah, that seems like a lot of battery for a 27. I'm not planning on sailing to the Philippines while watching movies on a big plasma TV in my 30, so I probably don't need that much. Right now I keep the boat in a slip at a marina, so I can plug in. But couldn't you stay on a mooring with less battery and solar or wind generated power? I guess if you live on your boat it's a bit different. I'm just planning for weekend bay and coastal trips. But it's good to have that as an option.
So where were your batteries originally? I don't want to give up my QB, but I do see that a PO cut a larger opening in the starboard settee locker and ran big wires there, so maybe there was a charger, inverter, or batteries in there at one time.
Ben

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
Ggrizzard, have you posted any pics of your engine cover and Qtr berth redesign? I don't think I need to take that on at this point, but it sounds interesting. And should make removing the tank easier. Like I mentioned though, to get the tank up to the level of the QB I think the steering has to come apart, or maybe just the exhaust hose. That reminds me to take more pics so I can post a writeup about it when I'm done.
I didn't get down to the boat this weekend to take measurements for a tank redesign, but hopefully next weekend. I'll post pics of what I come up with, maybe I can get a price break on getting a few tanks made if you or others are interested. They gave me a ballpark price of $425 for one.

Sep 2, 2011
[QUOTE="Ben Jammin, post: 1387747, member: 135416]
So where were your batteries originally? I don't want to give up my QB, but I do see that a PO cut a larger opening in the starboard settee locker and ran big wires there, so maybe there was a charger, inverter, or batteries in there at one time.
Ben[/QUOTE]

They were under the nav station seat where my start battery still resides.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Roland, is your breaker panel near the floor in the QB, so you have to remove the cushion and open a locker to get to the back? Is that where your batteries are, right behind the breakers? I can't access any other spaces below my quarter berth. Seems like there should be another space under there, but there's no opening to get to it. Maybe it's too shallow to be useful.
Ben, I built a new breaker panel some years ago. Had to get rid of those original fuses near the sole. It is mounted on top of the nav table. Your nav table may have a different configuration then mine, however. I'll post some pics later after I get back from the boat. Stay tuned.