78 h30 leak from stern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That is good, Ed.. (laughing) I can’t spell at all .. being an Injun-Ear, I rely heavily on "spell check"! (have to)..

Feb 19, 2010
Hunter sloop Hilton Head Island
Re: '78 H30 Stern Leak

Gentlemen - I've removed my radial wheel (quadrant) out of my '79 Hunter 30 and see that it's cracked both sides - from the through stainless bolt on the hub on outward (dissimilar metal electrolysis). That will have to be replaced with a new one. But further, I see that on my boat there is NO BEARING between the radial wheel and the stuffing box, but there does appear what may be one in your photos. A previous owner must've thought it unnecessary? (!) Can anyone provide any information on that bearing?

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
Old thread revival. quixote73, there is no bearing below the quadrant/above the stuffing box, they are almost touching each other.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
Ed,I thought he was asking about a bearing between the quadrant and stuffing box. It has been a while so it is hard to remember what was above the quadrant, I know it goes up to the inspection cover for the emergency tiller where there is a piece of plywood that the shaft rotates in but above the shelf I am drawing a blank.I'm thinking there was just a glassed in 2" thick piece of wood. Maybe it will come to me. Remember the 30 has a skeg mounted rudder.

Status
Not open for further replies.